The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. Increasing demand for clean energy will require new electricity networks, while advanced sensing will open-up new opportunities for health diagnostics and security.
The Compound Semiconductor (CS) Applications Catapult is changing the future of technology and we are offering the right candidate a chance to be part of something challenging and unique.
The Compound Semiconductor Applications Catapult is a new grant funded organisation set up in South Wales focused on helping industry exploit the significant advances made by UK researchers over the past two decades to make future advancements in technology a reality. The UK has invested in pure and applied research in Compound Semiconductors, through £750m funding in EPSRC and Innovate UK programmes over the last 10 years and more recently with £130m in a cluster in South Wales.
By developing the ecosystem and supply chain, we enable researchers and companies to play a substantial role around the world, realising substantial investment and economic growth for the UK. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help bridge the gap between idea and implementation by removing the barriers often faced by SMEs.
We are an organisation undergoing rapid growth and so we need an innovative and established packaging professional with a proven track record of creating and leading the delivery of the packaging agenda, finances and staff, with visibility across the CS micro-electronics sector.
Do you relish the challenge of building a business, an industry, and seeing the growth you help generate? Are you comfortable operating as the subject lead and influencing wider stakeholders?
This will be a varied and challenging role where your responsibilities would include:
* Leading the CS Catapult packaging function.
* Recruiting, managing and developing a team.
* Ensuring that all stakeholders are aware of the CS Catapult packaging function and capabilities.
* Working with members and staff in identifying and planning specific CS packaging requirements.
* Leading and developing the support function of the packaging laboratory to provide the most effective solutions and provide work activities that have either economic or industry impact to the (UK) CS industry.
* Ensuring that the packaging lab delivers real value to its customers.
* Integrating packaging activities into existing initiatives while avoiding unnecessary duplication or conflict.
* Working with the business development team to identify projects and support the bid writing process
Experience & Qualifications
* Significant, broad microelectronics industry manufacturing experience – both technical & commercial.
* Significant and proven micro-electronics business experience.
* Significant understanding of microelectronics packaging technologies.
* Good understanding of CS industry strengths and competencies.
* Experience of working with both large and small organisations.
* Team leadership and project management experience.
* Strategic thinker with the ability to galvanise support through leadership and vision.
* Strong personal industry network.
* Outward looking perspective (i.e. beyond the shores of the UK).
* Degree qualified in materials, science or engineering, with evidence of further study.
* Experience of working in a fast-growing start up environment is highly desirable, but not essential.
You will make the role your own and so the list above will not be exhaustive. Your role may also evolve with the business and so the ability to adjust and think dynamically will see you excel.
What do we offer?
* Up to £70,000 salary (FTE).
* Staff bonus scheme.
* 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions.
* Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey.
* Payment for a professional membership each year.
* Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you.
* Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we will put in 10%.
* 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays.
* Holiday carryover.
* Private Medical Insurance for you and your family.
* Life Assurance.
* A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with.