We are looking for an inclusive, confident, proven leader with high levels of resilience and outstanding stakeholder management skills. You will build strong relationships, challenging and supporting colleagues to obtain excellent value for money for Defence. Your technical grounding in cost management will assist you in understanding the detail, distilling simplicity from complexity. Your leadership experience will enable you to hit the ground running in the MOD.
1. The provision of Independent Assurance covering Independent Cost Estimating (to support the Planning Round); Efficiencies, Benefits and Analysis; Approvals and Industry Cost Assurance (in support of single source pricing)
2. Cost management leadership - Building in-house capacity and capability in Delivery agencies and Front Line Commands, and
3. Capability – Establishing centres of expertise around technical specialisms currently cost accounting, cost engineering and cost estimating.
With a reporting line to the Director of Assurance, Head of CAAS is ultimately responsible for leading the provision of independent advice to a range of senior and executive stakeholders that enables the Ministry of Defence to make effective equipment and support decisions that secure value for money now and in the future. In addition, the role is responsible for improving capacity and capability of cost management across MOD.
The following responsibilities, whilst not an exhaustive list, are required for successful execution of the role: Head up the Ministry of Defence’s independent Cost Assurance and Analysis Service providing effective corporate and strategic management for 300 staff.
Responsibilities• Build both capacity and capability of the team to sustain CAAS as leaders in cost management for the MOD
• Define and drive best practice and innovation in cost management to improve quality, standards and consistency across Defence.
• Maintain strategic relationships with the Front-Line Commands and Delivery Agencies to ensure collaborative engagement to help them build cost management capability.
• Inform strategic cost risk across MOD.
• Oversee the delivery of cost estimation services and maintain an independent view of the costs on major Equipment Plan projects to inform Departmental budgeting, approvals processes and support the National Audit Office’s annual review of the Defence Equipment Programme
• Oversee the provision of investment decision briefs for Front Line Commands and the Business Case Review Committee
• Accountable for the quality of services provided to customers, responsible for the development of products and skilled staff
CAAS is moving from the Defence Equipment and Support organisation into MOD Head Office where it will have a key role as a leader of cost management across Defence. This will involve setting standards for the rest of MOD and working to embed cost management skill sets across Front Line Commands and Delivery agencies. Change Management experience is therefore a key component of this role.
Please see attached the candidate information pack for further details.