Here at The Guardian, we believe the open exchange of information, ideas and opinions has the power to change the world for the better.
More people than ever before are reading, watching and listening to Guardian journalism from across the world. Over the past year the Guardian achieved record digital traffic with our highest number of regular readers and monthly page views averaging over 1.1 billion.
We’re now on a path to achieve the goal we announced last month of two million people supporting the Guardian by 2022. We hit our highest revenues in a decade and in 2019 achieved the goal we set three years earlier to break even.
We have vast, and growing, quantities of data at our disposal - and The Guardian’s data and insight department is growing too. Our mission is to harness this data to attract new readers, and deepen our engagement with them; recruit and retain direct support for the Guardian; and drive value from our advertising and other B2B revenue streams. Put simply, we don't think we can succeed in our ambitions unless we are driving the maximum insight and value from all forms of data.
We are recruiting a Head of Data to lead a newly-created team that will be accountable for building up the 'value' of our data asset so that our business users, analysts, data scientists, digital product teams and others can drive the maximum impact.
Reporting to the Chief Data Officer, as Head of Data you will:
- Hold accountability for how Guardian News & Media (GNM) collects structures and manages our data, including data architecture, data modelling, and data governance;
- Lead, manage and motivate the new data design team, comprising 5 direct reports;
- Oversee the growth in the value of our data (as measured by quality, richness, trust, accessibility and use) and so support the users of data (e.g. digital users; data scientists; analysts; business users);
- Act as the “data product owner” - the single point of contact and owner of data as a strategic asset within GNM;
- Shape and build consensus around the data product vision, strategy and roadmap;
- Build strong working relationships across GNM at all levels, to understand key business priorities and project manage delivery of fit-for-purpose data product;
- Work closely with our Data Technology team in Digital, which provides the infrastructure and technical support;
- Provide leadership, and equip and support the agile data design activities within GNM’s Digital Product teams and OKR huddles.
To be considered for this role, we’re looking for you to have a multi-disciplinary skill-set, including:
- A deep understanding of the data domain, including data governance, data architecture, data modelling, data engineering, data delivery, and the role of data to enable analytics, reporting and business intelligence. Able to engage actively within data design and delivery forums to ensure that the stated business requirements will be met;
- Delivery experience within a digitally oriented, high velocity, consumer organisation;
- Capable of leading and influencing, and engaging laterally across the business to deliver data products / data assets in a distributed environment, where a variety of teams each have autonomy to create and use data;
- Product management experience, capable of defining the “data as a product” vision, and to execute effectively alongside a team of engineers and analysts;
- Experience with rapid development methodologies, e.g., Agile, SCRUM, Kanban;
- Highly attentive to detail, with a structured problem-solving approach;
- Experience writing clear business requirements documentation;
- Experience handling multiple projects and priorities, managing timescales and delivery across a virtual, technical, cross-functional team;
- Robust knowledge of the existing and emergent regulatory and compliance context for data privacy and protection;
- Experience of managing teams, especially comprise data architects, designers, engineers and / or BI engineers;
- Organised, clear-thinking, and able to prioritise;
- Strong communicator, collaborative and able to persuade and influence when needed.
And lastly, if you share in the Guardian’s mission and values, you’ll be well placed to help us succeed.
Does this all sound like you? Then we’d love to hear from you.
To apply, please upload your latest CV and a cover letter which outlines why you’d love to take on this role, and why you’re a great match for we’re looking for.
The Guardian offers 26 days’ holiday and a competitive benefits package including a generous pension, healthcare, dental insurance options, cycle to work scheme and 2 paid volunteering days per year.
We have a strong commitment to your learning, development and wellbeing, with hundreds of different courses available - ranging from bite-sized e-learning courses, to on-site workshops and professional certifications.
It’s the talent, energy and commitment our people bring to our business that make us who we are. Across our business we have an eclectic mix of some of the brightest and best people in media and beyond: award winning journalists, cutting edge commercial teams, industry leading digital talent and much, much more.
We are a vibrant and diverse community with many events groups and forums to get involved in. Our Kings Place offices overlook Regents Canal, with the newly-developed Coal Drops Yard, Granary Square and St Pancras Square shops, restaurants and pop-ups .
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future. The Guardian actively encourages applications from BAME candidates.
At The Guardian, many of our staff work flexibly and we will consider all requests for flexible working arrangements.
Closing date: 25th June