About the job
The head of Fast Stream Transformation is responsible to driving forward a significant change programme that impacts the Fast Stream Programme structure, design, learning and operational delivery of the scheme. The role holder will be accountable to the Deputy Director, Head of Fast Stream and Early Talent, and will form part of the Fast Stream and Early Talent Senior Leadership Team.
Fast Stream and Early Talent enjoys a national presence with locations in London, Bristol, Manchester and Newcastle. Whilst the post holder may be located in any one of these, extensive travel to our other locations will be required.
As the Transformation Programme delivers, and the new ways of working become embedded, this post will increase its focus on continuous improvement and reduce its Transformation element.
• Directing the initial and ongoing scoping of emerging projects.
• Delivering multiple projects through others, empowering colleagues to deliver, challenge and input.
• Identifying and monitoring programme risks (threats and opportunities), planning and implementing responses to them and responding to other issues impacting the programme.
• Effectively managing dependencies ensuring they are identified, managed and, where necessary, escalating issues for resolution.
• Drafting quality briefings for various boards and senior stakeholders to drive and influence decision making.
• Building and managing meaningful and supportive relationships across the organisation, Civil Service HR and across Government.
• Engaging with very senior stakeholders, managing multiple and conflicting priorities, working to tight deadlines.
• Communicating and building commitment to a shared vision and sense of purpose.
• Mapping stakeholder interest and influence to determine priorities for engagement and communication; implementing an effective communications strategy, ensuring all stakeholders are appropriately communicated with on a regular basis.
• Driving a culture of continuous improvement and identifying opportunities for change to improve service delivery.
• Actively engaging in wider FSET activities as a member of the Senior Leadership team, promoting a One FSET approach to all delivery and strategy.
• Ensuring a continual corporate attitude and presence in the team, supporting culture change, open communication, transparency and building trust across the teams.
• Directly leading and managing the small Fast Stream Transformation team (currently c.4FTE), indirect management of the Programme Manager and leadership of the programme through a network of Change Champions across Fast Stream & Early Talent.
We are looking for someone with the following personal attributes:
• An attention to detail but an agility of approach - this area of work is extremely fast paced and high profile, reaching the top of the Civil Service.
• Significant leadership experience, and a successful management track record.
• An empowering, collaborative, motivating and inclusive leadership style.
• A proven ability to coach and develop team members and to encourage, enable and support them to reach their potential.
• Strong stakeholder engagement and influencing skills (including the capability to demonstrate credibility and build the trust of the most senior members of the CS leadership community).
• Strong track record of personal delivery of and/or leading teams which have achieved operational excellence.
• Demonstrable experience of delivering transformational change or continuous improvement programmes across multiple operational sites.
• A demonstrable passion for the development of the CSHR function.
• Emotional intelligence and empathy.
The successful candidate will be a part of the CS Project Delivery Profession and suitably qualified - or willing to undergo both elements shortly after appointment.