Looking for a ‘quiet Sunday-afternoon-cruise-job’? Then stop reading! If however you are smart, hardworking and looking for something to stretch you, challenge you and have a lasting impact on our customers and business, then this is for you. We have a significant change journey ahead of us and we need to focus on executing at pace through data led transformation. You will be at the heart of strategic execution and ultimately understand the mechanics of making our business more valuable! If you want to be part of something special, create history and truly make a difference look no further than IT strategy execution!
Aviva have a fantastic opening and actively seeking a Head of IT Portfolio, we are flexible on location; ideally based in London, York, Norwich or Bristol.
IT is a critical enabler to the business and one of the largest areas of expenditure. A robust, secure and leading edge IT architecture is essential for Aviva to become a super accelerator.
The IT Transformation team leads the governance of all strategic investment for the Global IT function, which is comprised of 4500 people. The Change portfolio consists of 200 programmes and >£350m spend. Data led decision making, robust governance, pace, and strong programmatic diligence is needed to Aviva is successful in delivering its strategic outcomes.
Global IT has a significant year-on-year Change Portfolio of Initiatives, as part of a rolling 3-year Strategic Roadmap. You will be required to lead activity to ensure that both the IT-initiated Change Portfolio and the IT elements of Market Change Portfolios sustain Aviva’s current operation and enable future ambitions, globally.
You will be responsible for Change governance and associated processes for Global IT.
This includes leading the facilitation, support and challenge of the Group IT areas for:
- Global Technology Roadmap construction
- Prioritisation and of IT-involved Change activity in all Roadmaps
- Submission and approval of Business Cases, ensuring appropriate funding in place
- Benefits tracking at Portfolio level – financial and non-financial
- Production of appropriate MI and reporting
- Portfolio-wide interdependency, risk and issue management
- Portfolio ‘do-ability’, liaising with all appropriate parties to understand dependencies
- Creation and maintenance of the Portfolio governance framework, and providing training and guidance in its use
- Management of the Transformation Steering Group
Risks & Controls
- Identify, own and manage the specific key risks and/or IT controls and BP standards that you are identified as the owner and/or nominee for on iCARE
- Maintain appropriate records and ensure that controls are sufficiently well designed and operating effectively to keep the risks that they mitigate within Aviva's tolerance level
- Report and escalate the status of the relevant risks, controls and standards as appropriate
- Accountable for delivering own workload within the 2-person Portfolio Planning and Delivery Assurance team
- Accountable for working within policy and guidelines, applying technical knowledge and expertise
Problem Solving and Change
- Operational problem solving to optimise the running of the Portfolio Planning and Delivery Assurance processes, and to inform and drive the continuous improvement of them
- Accountable for solving problems and dealing with difficulties in line with policy, process and other guidelines.
- Depending on the nature of the specific role, problems can range from repetitive daily issues to complex technical problems requiring significant expertise
- Accountable for making suggestions for improvements and taking personal initiative in adapting to change
- Day to day engagement with a range of local stakeholders involved in all aspects of Portfolio Planning and Delivery – with a focus on driving flawless delivery execution e.g. through Steering Group and Route to Green reviews
- Scale, complexity and stakeholders will determine exactly which activities are assigned to which people
- The focus of the role is typically a rolling 12 months into the future, to operate the monthly processes and drive improvements
- For Roadmap construction however, the horizon is up to 3 years into the future
Key Skills and experience:
- Degree or equivalent qualification preferred
- Excellent communicator. Persuasive and articulate, able to influence and negotiate at senior / exec level
- Ability to quickly and effectively work with other teams
- Facilitation skills at a senior level
- Relationship management skills
- Change management
- Dependency management
- Financial management
- Commercial awareness
- Proven track record in successfully initiating and operating Portfolio-wide governance
- Track-record of successfully operating along-side senior stakeholders
- Good understanding of IT Change activity
What will you get for this role?
- Competitive salary
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Minimum holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Saima Akram in the Resourcing team on 0121 779 1449.