The Office for National Statistics is changing to achieve its organisational strategy, ‘Statistics for the public good’. People data is pivotal to making sure this can happen. The more we know and understand about the people that work in our organisation, the more we can leverage it to make ONS a brilliant place to work with engaged people who deliver high performance.
People Analytics is the data hub for People and Business Services, working with specialist areas including Pay and Reward, Learning and Development, Workforce Planning, Culture and Wellbeing, and HR Business Partners to provide analysis that drives strategic decision making on our people plan. We are looking for someone with a passion for analysis, innovation, and creativity to join our team. We use a range of statistical techniques and are developing our methods to include predictive and qualitative analysis to maximise the value of our insights.
The team are responsible for analysis, the design and development of management information that underpins our Strategic People Plan and Strategic Objectives. The People Analytics lead is a strategic role providing insight to the People and Business Services Leadership team and National Statistician’s Executive Board to steer strategic people decisions. The team works closely with HR centres of expertise, including Inclusion and Diversity, Culture and HR Business Partners to ensure data provides meaningful insights that underpins decision making. This ensures our people decisions are evidence based across the whole employee lifecycle, enabling us to attract, nurture and retain the best.
Our People Analytics has already a good track record in collaboratively creating datasets and measures which help to assure compliance and to provoke curiosity in our senior leaders to increase investment in our people. They will work closely with other HR Business Partners and HR centres of expertise to deliver multi-disciplinary projects to support the business in delivering the Strategic People Plan.
During COVID-19, People Analytics has played a key role, working at pace to provide senior leaders with the information needed to make informed decisions to keep our workforce safe. The team continues to provide data and insights to ensure everyone at ONS is supported and able to produce national statistics that underpin every aspect of society, from the response to COVID-19 to data on migration and the labour force. This role is an excellent opportunity for someone with a data or HR background to strengthen the evidence base within People and Business Services and work with colleagues from across the organisation, including senior
Responsibilities• Lead the development of a comprehensive suite of MI that underpins the People Plan and Strategic Objectives, including a focused look at diversity and inclusion
• Lead the implementation and analysis of the annual Civil Service People Survey, working with Culture and Internal Communications to ensure insights drive appropriate actions to improve the working lives of everyone at ONS
• Be an advocate for data security and appropriate use of data, working with ONS legal teams and network groups where appropriate
• Lead the analysis and interpretation of data to determine the root cause of current and emerging workforce issues, to drive improvement and innovation across the organisation
• Develop capability within the team to deliver insightful analysis, exploring methods such as predictive analysis to expand our analytical capability
• Strengthen a commissioning approach that will ensure analytical resource is prioritised to the most critical business need
• Produce data products that are clear to understand and easy to action. Develop capability across HR to ensure data is at the heart of everything we do
Essential Skills and Experience:
• A curiosity to see the bigger picture, linking data sets and analysis to business priorities to drive improvements in strategic outcomes.
• Experience of leading projects and people to achieve successful outcomes
• Proven experience in analysing complex data, working with large datasets and quality assuring findings to produce meaningful, impactful analysis.
• Excellent team working skills, with an ability to lead a team, work autonomously and with pace
• Be adaptable, detect opportunities and implement ideas for improvement and think creatively to solve a problem
• Experience of presenting data to a non-technical audience and using data to influence decision making.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
• Relevant experience of working in an HR environment or with an HR customer
• Experience of developing and building management information for a range of audiences
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions