This is a fantastic opportunity to work at the heart of a commercially focussed part of the Department, enabling delivery of multiple major projects to challenging timescales within a civil service operating environment.
Programme & Procurement Excellence (PPE) team own the corporate functions of Passenger Services and enable the whole of Passenger Services to succeed. PPE teams provide a hub of Procurement Excellence, a Programme Office, Public Affairs and Briefing leadership, and Correspondence Management.
The Head of Programme and Procurement Excellence is a key role in Passenger Services – comprising Policy, Operations & Change Directorate, Markets (North) Directorate and Markets (South) Directorate - and sits on the Senior Leadership Team, while reporting to the Markets Director (North), Passenger Services. The post holder will lead three teams, totalling around 50 people, to deliver functions pivotal to the success of Passenger Services, and will have 3-4 direct reports, including one at peer level.
Key responsibilities include:
- Enabling the effective operation of Passenger Services in a civil service operating environment, through the design, leadership and implementation of a series of key functions, and by supporting and guiding the Senior Leadership Team.
- Membership of the Senior Leadership Team (MD Passenger Services and Directors of the three Directorates), and the SRO’s Investment Appraisal Panel which supports the Managing Director on Tier 1 investment decisions.
- Leading, managing and developing teams to deliver:
- ownership of procurement process, guidance on our procurement approach and development of that approach to best meet objectives, assurance of Passenger Services activities focussing on franchise competitions and direct awards;
- supporting the Rail Minister and Secretary of State to confidently give clear messages about our approach and progress, and facilitating meaningful, consistent and open engagement with passengers, our supply chain and the public; owning our approach and processes for engagement and consultation including guidance to project teams and managing presentational risk
- visibility of programme deliverability, risks and issues and effective reporting, provision of guidance and support for project scheduling/planning, ownership and external/internal promotion of rail franchise programme schedule, development of and smooth functioning of Passenger Services Boards;
- Driving the maturing of Passenger Services as an organisation and the development of professional communities to support the matrix structure and enable consistency, professional excellence and strong communication across and beyond Passenger Services
Further information about the role or how to apply can be found in the candidate information pack.