Head of Retail Actuarial Reserving (Part-Time, Job-Share and Full-Time)
Location: London (Fareham will also be considered)
An excellent opportunity has arisen to lead the UK P&C Retail Actuarial Reserving team.
As the team lead, you will be responsible for the delivery and oversight of the reserving and related items Planning, Solvency II, IFRS17) produced by your team, communicating the output and related insight through to the UK Chief Reserving Actuary and the Retail business. The successful candidate will be a key part of the UK P&C Actuarial Reserving Team, helping to shape the overall team development, technical standards and processes.
While the role has historically focused on the Personal Lines portfolio, a key part of the Group strategy is to focus on growth in the Retail sector, the SME portfolio has been carved out of the Commercial portfolio and also now forms part of the responsibility for this team, working closely with the Commercial Reserving Actuary.
In addition to the traditional reserving aspects of the role, there are opportunities to support on various projects including working closely with the Data Architecture and Analytics team to improve the input data into our process and process improvements more broadly including the integration of the SME portfolio into the existing Retail processes.
This role is available part-time, job-share or full time. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren’t available full-time.
- Lead Retail actuarial services related to loss and premium reserve analysis, planning and associated activities supporting in the parameterisation of the internal capital model with respect to these items.
- Make informed actuarial recommendations based on professional judgment and experience.
- Ensure that the claims provisioning processes for the Retail business is appropriately governed and documented in accordance with Group, Regional, and Local policies.
- Support the cascade of Group strategy, actively supporting in UK P&C Retail strategy development and portfolio management.
- Actively liaise with Pricing Actuaries, Finance, Underwriting, Claims and others with interest and influence on the Retail business, including provision of insights on underlying performance and implications.
- Be an active member of the Personal Lines Leadership and UK Actuarial Leadership Teams.
- Lead a team of around 6 people, with responsibility for all aspects of team management and professional development.
- Support the project to implement IFRS 17 (through the Zurich Group project) for Retail, continuing the journey of significant improvements to process efficiency and effectiveness.
Your skills and experience:
- Qualified actuary with reserving experience, ideally in a Retail setting
- At least a basic SQL and/or other coding experience would be desirable, as well as familiarity with ResQ and PowerBI
- A high level of numeracy skills and an analytical thinker with sound business awareness
- Excellent team-working, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience of influencing/negotiating and communicating at a Senior Level
- A serious and professional attitude towards compliance of regulatory submission with an eye for attention to details in order to support accuracy
- Professional manner
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude.
As well as a competitive salary we also offer an excellent lifestyle benefits package which includes:
- 12% Non Contributory pension scheme
- Annual company bonuses
- 25 days holiday plus an additional 3 volunteering days
- Car allowance
- Location allowance
- Private medical cover
- Income Protection
- Life Cover
- Discounted gym membership,
- Discounted gadget insurance
- Discounted technology offers
- Virtual GP appointments
- Plus much more!
At Zurich we will consider requests for flexible working on hiring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexible hours, job share, an element of working from home or compressed hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
Who we are:
With about 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. If you're interested in working in a dynamic and challenging environment for a company that recognises and rewards your creativity, initiatives and contributions - then Zurich could be just the place for you. The success of our business is built on the contributions of our highly talented employees - people who work every day to position us at the forefront of the insurance industry. We therefore look to hire great people and we encourage those people to give their best.
You’ll feel the support of being part of a strong and stable company. A long-standing player in the insurance industry, we make every effort to address the career development needs and plans of our employees to ensure their success in the future.
At Zurich we are proud of our culture. We are passionate about Diversity and Inclusion. We want you to bring your whole self to work we have a diverse mix of customers and we want our employee base to reflect that.
Our diversity and inclusion initiatives are creating an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of protected characteristics.
With the above in mind we accept applications from everyone regardless of your background, beliefs or culture however we especially welcome applications from women, people from ethnic minorities, people with a disability and people who are LGBT+ as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust.
We have won numerous awards for our work on Diversity and Inclusion. We are also proud to be nominated for the 2020 Insurance Times award for Diversity and Inclusion. You can read about our awards on our website.
So make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.