Transport matters to everyone, every single day. It is vital for the environment, the economy, to the country’s prosperity and to our health and wellbeing. We’re investing in the infrastructure our country needs, promoting cycling and walking and striving for a net zero economy. We’re responsible for some of the biggest issues facing Government – now more than ever.
Our people are at the heart of our delivery and key to the work we do. Their outcomes provide innovation and value for the taxpayer through the solutions we provide.
Are you an HR leader who can see the bigger picture and align business outcomes to our workforce strategy and resourcing approach?
We would love someone to join us who can build rapport quickly and work across the Department for Transport to deliver key workforce and resourcing priorities. You will enjoy influencing others, encouraging them to make the right decisions in line with government and departmental strategy. You will be collaborative in your approach and not only a fantastic leader but also an exceptional teammate.
You will be experienced in workforce strategy and resourcing solutions and can work as a trusted partner with your stakeholders. You will set direction across your team and internal colleagues, and your excellent relationship building skills will enable you to influence and challenge at all levels.
If this is you, we would love to hear from you!
ResponsibilitiesRoles and Responsibilities
• Leading your team to develop, deliver and embed a best practice approach to resourcing and workforce planning for the DfT.
• Ownership of the development co-ordination and maintenance of a resourcing and workforce plan for DfT which is aligned to our vision, values, strategic priorities, and the wider Civil Service agenda.
• Working collaboratively across the HR and finance functions, business and professions to ensure departmental demand is accurately forecast and supply routes are effectively managed.
• Work collaboratively across functions to ensure that wider organisational strategies that impact our workforce (e.g. DfT’s location strategy) are aligned to our workforce plan and to act as a key enabler for such strategies.
• Acting as an expert advisor, critical friend and influencer, providing support to senior stakeholders on a range of resourcing and workforce planning issues and ensuring that best practice toolkits, knowledge and frameworks are in place to support the resource planning needs of the business.
• Ensuring that workforce planning is fully embedded in the business planning cycle across DfT and in all plans for change throughout the organisation. This includes responding to and leading on implementing central government commissions and requirements that may on occasion ask us to manage our workforce differently to meet wider government priorities.
Are you a passionate and talented individual who can lead our strategic resourcing and workforce planning team so that the department can achieve its objectives?
Are you looking for a chance to utilise your knowledge in resourcing and workforce planning within a high profile organisation that puts people at the heart of its agenda?
Do you pride yourself on your excellent communication skills and the ability to work in collaboration with stakeholders to achieve business goals and objectives?
If so we would love to hear from you.
Our mission at the Department for Transport is ‘connecting people and places’. Everything we do to achieve this is reinforced by our values:
- Confidence: to challenge, to take action, to innovate
- Excellence: in our professionalism, in our delivery, in our learning
- Teamwork: we are inclusive, we collaborate, we support each other
These values define the kind of organisation we want to be – delivering for today whilst being ambitious for tomorrow.
We embrace diversity and celebrate our differences. Everyone is involved in making DfT an inclusive and great place to work. We actively promote a flexible approach to working whilst giving our staff opportunities to maximise their skills and achieve their full potential.
We are different people, one team.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Working Together
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing