Think big, create better
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
Amey Consulting provide design and other support services to Staffordshire County Council (SCC) and developers across the whole of the County through our Infrastructure+ contract with SCC. We are seeking an experienced and motivated Civil Engineer to support our Design and Development team. As a Civil Engineer, you will support the Senior Engineer and lead junior Engineers in the design and delivery of multiple highway projects ranging from junction improvements to new roads and bridges. The team manage a large portfolio of work, ranging from detailed design of £1m+ projects to technical checking and site supervision on behalf of our Client Staffordshire County Council. This role offers a unique opportunity to follow projects through from inception to construction developing your career in Highway design and construction in a fast paced, collaborative and supportive team. This is a role requiring strong experience of designing highways and infrastructure projects.
This is a fast-paced role which offers the opportunity to go on site and be client facing mainly working on third-party design. This role is ideal for someone with relevant experience in highway engineering (knowledge of Manual for Streets, DMRB, other national standards, best practice guidance, local standards etc.), particularly local roads and S278 layouts. There is also opportunity here to mentor less experienced or junior staff.
We strongly encourage the development towards a professional qualification with a recognised Institution and pride ourselves on mentoring our staff.
In a typical week you will:
- Produce highway drawings packages including materials, construction details, calculations and documents
- Prepare technical reports, feasibility studies, Road Safety Audit briefs, public correspondence and other written documents
- Work up Traffic Regulation Orders
- Go on site visits, inspections and supervision
- Attend and lead meetings and discussions with developers, the client and other designers
- Provide support and progress updates to the Senior Engineer
- Liaise with other Engineers within the design team to ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards.
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have completed (or agree to) a formal training agreement leading towards Chartered Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council and agreed a realistic programme towards achieving professional qualification, or alternatively have achieved Incorporated Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council
- Have an appreciation of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You can demonstrate developing experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in an Assistant Highways Design Engineer role or equivalent
- You can produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You can demonstrate an understanding of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people's lives. It's what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You'll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You'll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You'll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You'll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.