Birmingham is our preferred location. (GPA is committed to an agile and smarter working approach based on outcomes, which means the successful candidate would only need to attend the office when business needs require a physical presence.)
The Government Property Agency (GPA) was launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018. The GPA represents a step change in the way that Government property estate and assets are managed efficiently, by providing innovative and flexible solutions across the Government estate. Our core service is to support departments in business change and workforce transformation. The GPA is the place to be for UK’s leading professionals in estates, commercial, project management and beyond.
The Human Resources (HR) team within GPA is a small, dedicated and friendly team of professionals from a range of complementary backgrounds both in and outside of the Civil Service. We lead, support and develop approximately 200 GPA staff, who are based around the UK, and we drive the people aspects of our business transformation programme. It is an exciting time to join our team.
We are looking for a highly motivated person to join our team who is keen to play an important part in leading and developing some key strands of HR within GPA. The post holder will be able to be strategic, creative and have a significant impact across the agency.
You will be experienced in finding solutions to challenges, whilst working within policy parameters, and will be a self-starter, able to work from your own initiative. You will be able to look at systems and processes, spot potential levers for change and take effective action to realise that change. You will work collaboratively across teams, spotting opportunities for improvements and supporting colleagues to adopt leading edge approaches to pay and reward to support the people agenda.
You will be effective at communicating with impact and have an
ability to influence, and consult with, key stakeholders. You will have strategic awareness of internal and external reward trends and good project management skills to manage multi-strand projects. You will have strong analytical and numerical skills to complete data analysis.
As well as being comfortable with numbers, and aware of legal and
regulatory requirements, you will need to be able to communicate and educate employees and line managers about the reward strategy. You will work with colleagues in other departments to create a coherent employee value proposition approach.
We are seeking someone who is comfortable working in fast-moving environments and can show flexibility in adapting to priorities as they arise, whilst maintaining focus on core deliverables. You will be confident using data and research evidence to drive effective decision-making and practice.
Finally, you will have a strong delivery focus, underpinned by solid organisational skills and you will be able confidently to apply them to drive forward our people agenda.
Key responsibilities are to lead and deliver GPA’s approach to pay and reward. You will ensure GPA has the basics right and you will take the agency forward in its approaches ensuring we create and sustain a high performance culture. The post holder will work to the Head of HR Delivery who sits under the Head of People Team/HR.
You will be responsible for:
- Producing GPA pay remit
- Managing GPA performance management system
- Leading on Trade Unions engagement
- Increasing and publicising employee benefits, e.g. childcare scheme, cycle to work scheme, etc
- Managing In Year Bonus system
- Working with SSCL on complex pay queries
- Linking to MyCSP, our pensions provider
To achieve this, key activities and deliverables will include:
- Plan and deliver the cyclical pay activities, including the annual pay award, pay remit, and in year bonus
- Deliver key interventions as part of the GPA Reward Strategy
- Manage grading changes for the agency through the JEGS (job evaluation) process
- Carry the Employee Value Proposition through all HR activities
- Manage the activity and engagement required for the performance management process
- Manage our engagement with our recognised Trade Unions
- Play a role in the cross-government reward network
- Draft papers to the Executive Team and provide bespoke reporting on demand
- Support the work of the wider HR team as required