Birmingham is our preferred location. (GPA is committed to an agile and smarter working approach based on outcomes, which means the successful candidate would only need to attend the office when business needs require a physical presence.)
The Government Property Agency (GPA) was launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018. The GPA represents a step change in the way that Government property estate and assets are managed efficiently, by providing innovative and flexible solutions across the Government estate. Our core service is to support departments in business change and workforce transformation. The GPA is the place to be for UK’s leading professionals in estates, commercial, project management and beyond.
The Human Resources (HR) team within GPA is a small, dedicated, and friendly team of professionals from a range of complementary backgrounds both in and outside of the Civil Service. We lead, support and develop approximately 200 GPA staff, who are based around the UK, and we drive the people aspects of the GPA2021 transformation programme. It is an exciting time to join our team and we are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive candidate.
We are looking for a highly motivated person to join our team who is keen to play an important part in leading and developing some key strands of HR within GPA. This is an exciting role in which the post holder will be able to be strategic, innovative and have a significant impact across the agency.
You will be experienced in finding solutions to challenges, whilst working within policy parameters and will be a self-starter, able to work from your own initiative. You will be able to look at systems and processes, spot potential levers for change and take effective action to realise that change. You will work collaboratively across teams, spotting opportunities for improvements and supporting colleagues to adopt leading edge approaches to embedding and mainstreaming engagement, talent, D&I and wellbeing throughout the people agenda.
We are seeking someone who is comfortable working in fast-moving environments and can show flexibility in adapting to priorities as they arise, whilst maintaining focus on core deliverables. You will be confident using data and research evidence to drive effective decision-making and practice.
Finally, you will have a strong delivery focus, underpinned by solid organisational skills and will be able to confidently apply them to drive forward our people agenda.
Key responsibilities are to lead and deliver GPA’s approach to four priority areas: engagement; talent; diversity and inclusion and wellbeing. You will ensure GPA has the basics right in developing, engaging, supporting and including its staff and take the agency forward in its approaches. The post holder will work to the Head of HR Strategy who sits under the Head of People Team/HR.
- Work in partnership with key stakeholders to ensure a seamless approach to talent management, building a sound understanding of talent challenges, sharing best practice and developing better corporate knowledge of talent cadres.
- Support the management of talent interventions and tools aligned with GPA People Strategy and manage GPA participation in organisational talent and development programmes such as Future Leaders Scheme, Senior Leaders Scheme and Positive Action Pathways.
- Lead on the design and delivery of plans against the agency’s objective to embed a diverse and inclusive culture in everything we do.
- Develop further GPA’s approach to supporting the wellbeing of all staff.
- Develop our Bullying, Harassment and Discrimination action plan, linked to best practice and underpinned by our zero tolerance approach.
- Drive, design and deliver all aspects of the annual People Survey and employee engagement across GPA, including preparation and testing, the period when the survey is live, and handling the results to ensure all business areas maximise the value of the survey, demonstrating the case for employee engagement as a driver of business performance, raising awareness of the value of the survey results as a source of evidence.
- Support staff networks and other projects.
- Establish GPA community events and encourage participation in corporate contributions.
- Support the work of the wider HR team as required.
- Draft papers to the Executive Team and provide bespoke reporting on demand.
- Manage outputs of the People Survey, distributing the results, briefing stakeholders and working with business areas to guide their analysis and action planning.
- Lead on analysing People Survey results at Agency level and developing insight to inform strategies and plans ranging across leadership and management development, learning and development, diversity and inclusion, HR policies and processes and corporate communications.
- Lead on talent activities for the Agency, including developing and embedding the talent strategy and ensuring it is aligned to GPA2021 and Business Plan.
- Management of talent and development schemes and activities such as Fast Stream, Apprenticeships, Positive Action Pathways, Future Leaders Scheme and Senior Leader Scheme selection and support.
- Build an in-depth knowledge of the Agency’s talent pipelines and developing innovative approaches to enable colleagues to maximise their potential.
- Design and deliver the GPA approach to Diversity and Inclusion including working with our senior D&I Champion to develop our strategy.
- Further develop and promote our wellbeing package including joining the Civil Service wide network and working with our senior Wellbeing Champion.