National Business Centres (NBCs) and Courts and Tribunal Service Centres (CTSCs)
HM Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) is on a journey of unprecedented change. The ‘Reform’ Programme is a once in a generation opportunity to transform the entire courts and tribunal service, enhancing the provision of a world-class justice system, to provide an improved user experience at reduced cost to the taxpayer. This will contribute to consolidating the UK’s position at the fore-front of an increasingly competitive international legal market; as well as ensuring access to justice for all. Approximately £1 billion is being invested in Reform, which is due to complete in 2023/24.
The HMCTS HR function has a pivotal role in supporting leaders and their teams through transformation by developing and deploying the right people strategies. The role of HRBP requires you to provide clear direction and focus, visibly championing changes within HMCTS and the Reform agenda.
Strong leadership is critical and all senior managers in the organisation are required to operate in a culture of openness and honesty, demonstrating a commitment to change through involvement and empowerment, and by delivering results.
We’re looking for exceptional candidates to join our team in the role of HR Business Partner, supporting both business as usual and HMCTS Reform. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the largest change programmes in government, which is internationally recognised as the most ambitious reform of a Justice System ever undertaken.
Main purpose of the role:
HR Business Partners are responsible for planning and facilitating the delivery of the People and Organisation Strategy, in support of the HMCTS Business Plan and goals.
As the business face of HMCTS you will need to work closely with the wider HMCTS HR team in Organisational Capability and the HR Directors office and wider MoJ and Civil Service HR to tailor appropriate interventions and insight to deliver a whole HR service.
As a key member of the senior Management Team for your area(s) of responsibility, you will provide the bridge between the business and HR. You will work collaboratively with senior stakeholders and their teams to determine all people requirements.
Providing expert strategic HR advice to Directors and Senior Management Teams, as a HRBP you will coach senior leaders, and challenge where necessary, to enable highly effective change leadership and to create a compelling people proposition; thereby improving individual, team and organisational performance and capability.
This is a full-time role, with some travel and overnight stays, but you can split your week between home (or wherever you prefer to work) and the office(s) if you so choose.
The key objectives of the role include;
• Contribution and implementation of HR strategy to drive and underpin HMCTS Reform
• Working with senior Directors as part of Senior Management Teams to develop and implement HR and business strategy ensuring that HMCTS has the right structure, climate and capability to manage change and transition.
• Advise on the people implications arising from significant change initiatives and provide technical HR/employment oversight
• Working collaboratively with Senior Directors and their teams to develop effective strategies in terms of delivery and approach that supports HMCTS cultural change agenda, and which meet Civil Service/HMCTS guidelines and targets in respect of:
• performance management
• health & wellbeing, and attendance management
• equality, diversity and inclusion
• Ensure effective workforce planning that aligns to budget allocations, and meets capacity and capability requirements, and deploys appropriate attraction, talent and development strategies.
• Providing professional expertise to ensure the development of a Talent and Succession strategy which grows a strong talent pipeline, including addressing appropriate development needs to develop credible successors.
• Develop and grow leadership capability and effectiveness through coaching, challenging and mentoring senior Directors on business and people issues to drive improved leadership.
• Engaging with the Organisational Capability Team to obtain appropriate services and products which tailor key elements of our people proposition, capability development framework and organisation toolkit to ensure delivery of business needs and outcomes including HMCTS reform.
• Tactical use and analysis of people data and customer insight to inform and drive strategic changes, to improve business performance and deliver excellence.
• Operating as the technical HR expert for the business, providing oversight for all people related matters and working with the HR Organisational Capability Team and HR Directors Office and expert centres etc to ensure a consistent and high-quality HR service.
• Influencing senior leaders to drive forward engagement of our workforce and to enable cultural change to provide a better justice system to UK citizens.
• Working closely with HR colleagues, delivery partners, senior managers and HR teams across the Civil Service to drive continuous improvement in the delivery of HR services, policies and practices.
• Identification and dissemination of HR best practice, advising portfolio leads for change initiatives/projects.
Skills & Qualifications
Ideally CIPD accredited or willing to work towards achieving accreditation
Essential Knowledge and Skills
• Is able to role model highly effective leadership
• Ability to shape strategic thinking and implement people strategy
• Highly credible and technically proficient HR professional with a strong client focus.
• Strong consultancy, partnership and relationship building skills.
• Strong programmatic approach to delivering solutions and complex change.
• Ability to coach and develop senior leaders
• Ability to facilitate effective decision making
• Ability to incite and activate change, often across diverse geographical locations and jurisdictions.
• Understanding of change management, whole systems thinking and organisational developments concepts.
The behaviours required for this role are:
• Seeing the Bigger Picture
• Working Together
• Communicating and Influencing
ResponsibilitiesPlease refer to Job Description
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together