Mercieca is a place where brands come for creative solutions that make a difference to their business.
We keep things simple. We’re smart, focused and we listen to our Clients. Utilising our expertise and knowledge, we always ensure that we deliver uncomplicated strategies, brilliant results, to time and on budget.
We’re an uncomplicated and very down to earth bunch that just love to do great work, be successful and have fun along the way. Our people are key to our success and we are committed to their professional development & welfare. As HR Manager, you will help the senior management nurture and develop our internal talent whilst ensuring we comply with our legal duties.
This is a part-time position (15-22.5 hours a week, ideally spread over a minimum of 3 days). This is a stand-alone position where you will be leading on all HR activity for Mercieca; this includes recruitment, performance management, staff retention and employee relations. As HR Manager you will need to engage with all relevant stakeholders; providing them with advice and support, as and when required.
- To provide HR advice to the team
- To ensure our policies and processes are legally compliant and are applied fairly and consistently
- To respond to all HR queries promptly
- To advise on the recruitment of new employees, produce contracts of employment and provide input into on-boarding programmes
- Design, implement and run a hiring process to each role’s requirements, this includes placing succinct job adverts on appropriate job portals to attract key talent.
- Liaise with line managers to ensure job descriptions are up-to-date.
- Where appropriate, screen CVs, conduct telephone interviews and sit on interview panels.
- Source candidates directly and help drive down recruitment costs. Engage with the talent pool.
- Catch up regularly with line managers, pre-empt any issues and manage them pro-actively.
- Monitor the handling of probation periods and appraisals.
- Review and advise on absence and attendance e.g. sickness, maternity, unpaid leave etc.
- Manage and make recommendations on staff benefits.
- Take leadership on sensitive matters such as disciplinary, grievance, redundancy and termination of employment.
- Ensure the company is fulfilling all its GDPR obligations and update Board members accordingly.
- Update contracts of employment and the Handbook, when necessary, communicating changes to all the team.
- Advise the Board of upcoming employment legislation changes in a timely manner.
- Assist the Finance & Operations Director with monthly payroll, ensuring the Director is informed of all changes without delay.
- Monthly online upload of pension data
- Facilitate Housekeeping meetings.
- Manage general day to day HR administration and ensure all areas are completed with absolute precision and completeness e.g. holiday spreadsheet.
- To act as an ambassador in all your dealings both internally and externally
Critical Performance Areas - The success of this position will be dictated by:
- Recruitment expenditure
- Staff retention and feedback
- Completion of projects within set budgets and timelines
- Effective management of allocated projects
- Accurate payroll administration
- CIPD qualified with proven substantial experience of dealing with sensitive and/ or complex employee matters.
- Stand-alone HR experience within an agency environment or SME would be preferable.
- Gravitas to counsel Board members on HR matters.
- Experience of facilitating training sessions and coaching line managers.
- Previous experience of mental health management would be advantageous.