In order to deliver our vision we need to be a flexible, innovative and collaborative department that connects with industry, business, research and development communities, consumers and all the other parts of the UK economy. We need to make evidence based policy decisions driven by coherent, exploitable and shared data. We need to connect with our customers, partners and other stakeholders in a business like way – embracing the full potential of the digital era. And we need to use the best modern technology to maximise our own productivity
This is underpinned by 4 strategic enablers:
1. People, skills and culture: a culture where Digital is embraced, understood and valued.
2. Partner, enable, assure: provide the tools, processes and support to empower teams to deliver quality services which meet government standards and user needs.
3. Service delivery: the design, build and delivery of services is agile - providing value for money through reuse of data and components and delivering services more quickly and effectively.
4. Continuous improvement: the ambition to continually improve is instilled in everything that we do. We seek feedback from our users and the data we capture to understand user behaviour to improve services and inform future service developments.
So we need a strong Digital, Data and Technology function that provides excellent services to the Department, enabling collaboration with our colleagues to deliver exceptional services for the consumers and businesses we serve. We currently have circa 120 posts in the team, with an annual budget allocation of circa £20m. There is an interim organisational structure in place pending the approval of a strategy that you will have the opportunity to shape and then deliver.
The Department has rolled out a G-cloud technology platform with a resilient infrastructure to provide the latest software to staff. We have only just begun to consider how we might exploit the opportunities presented by the latest technology. Therefore, we need a strong and experienced team to help both the Department and the function understand the possibilities and potential of the digital era and play a key role in the transformation of both the way we work and the services we deliver.
For further information please follow this link to view the BEIS Digital recruitment film:
About the Role
The IT Infrastructure lead will work within the Service Management and Architecture functions within Digital and is responsible for the planning, development and security of BEIS cloud-based IT infrastructure and services.
You will investigate and progress IT solutions and infrastructure to improve IT service capability and capacity to meet business needs.
About the team
The Technology Services team is tasked with supporting and developing our cloud infrastructure and application platforms. You will work with Digital & Data, Technical Services, the Business Relationship Managers and suppliers to develop and maintain our core infrastructure and services.
● Develops the strategic and tactical engineering roadmaps for technologies and services in their area of responsibility, making sure that they are future proof and that the organisation derives maximum value from investment in technologies.
● Owns the operational relationships with suppliers making sure services and products are delivered and aligned to industry best practice, regulatory and contractual requirements.
● Work with technical architects to translate the architectural designs into operations and supports technical architects in operationalising the designs.
● Lead and direct infrastructure teams in building, managing, supporting and maintaining solutions according to departmental policy.
● Provide incident reporting and continuous improvement to achieve 100% uptime SLA.
● Upgrade systems by conferring with vendors and services; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new software.
● Maintain effective relationship with Infrastructure vendors and business partners
● Participate in projects to implement, test and design the various Infrastructure components and applications
What we are looking for:
● Must have a broad architectural knowledge of all components of infrastructure systems; middleware; and multiple backend database technologies.
● Experience in infrastructure and operations with detailed knowledge of AWS and Azure.
● Must demonstrate initiative, can be pointed in a direction and work independently, identifies issues on their own and can formulate plans and next steps to solve process or technical issues.
● Ability to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and partners.
● Ability to speak or present information in confident, clear, concise direct manner.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritising them correctly.
● In-depth knowledge of DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, and SMTP.
● Solid understanding of virtualization technologies and best practices.
Administration experience on the following enterprise technologies:
● Active Directory and Group Policy Management
● AirWatch/Intune MDM
● Backup Technologies and best practices
● Software deployment and Patching
● Virus and Malware protection solutions
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.