About the job
To deliver against the Defence purpose and strategic objectives, we need the right mix of capable and motivated people that appropriately represent the breath of the society we exist to defend, now and in the future. In support of this vision, Joint Force Command reflects a whole force approach, bringing together military, civilians and contractors to deliver key outputs and enhance our strategic capabilities. To mature this model and supply a workforce that can respond to current and future requirements, we need to design, mobilise and build our people accordingly.
The Joint Forces Command Learning and Development lead plays a critical role in this – leading the design and completion of a training needs analysis that spans the breadth of the Command, working with internal and external partners to derive learning and development initiatives and interventions accordingly and by promoting a growth mindset across the organisation. To do this the role holder must work across the Command, the wider department and across Government whilst also engaging proactively with wider communities to draw on best practice and support the development of a productive and fulfilled workforce.
Key responsibilities include:
• Working with key stakeholders including the Defence Academy and the Head of Strategic Workforce Planning, Organisational Design and Analytics to conduct a training needs analysis for key skill areas across the Command.
• Drawing on the outputs of the training needs analysis and the Joint Forces Command People Strategy to develop a learning and development plan for Joint Forces Command.
• Developing a targeted intervention plan to ensure completion of mandatory training across the Command; reviewing mandatory requirements in parallel.
• Designing and implementing career pathways for key capability areas in conjunction with Joint Forces Command Heads of Profession.
• Facilitating the relationship with KPMG / Civil Service Learning and other learning providers as required.
• Working with the workforce analytics team to develop and learning and development dashboard for reporting at Joint Forces Command Executive Command on a bi-annual basis.
• Proactively engaging across the Joint Forces Command Strategic Workforce Team, including with leads in D&I, engagement and strategic workforce planning to develop ensure the learning offer retains agility in line with demand and future requirements.
• Membership of key leaning and development working groups across the MoD.
This role reports to the Head of Corporate HR for Joint Forces Command.
What we are looking for
The successful candidates should possess drive, strong inter-personal skills, the ability to build positive and productive relationships and be willing to embrace change and a culture of continuous improvement and efficiency delivery. Strong advocates of leadership at all levels, the successful candidates will act as role models in leadership across Joint Force Command, measured by the Civil Service Leadership principles of:
• Inspiring about our work and its future
• Confident in our engagement
• Empowering our teams to deliver
Specific experience and achievements should include:
• Professional HR or Project Delivery qualification or a willingness to study towards a qualification if not already held
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
- Managing a Quality Service
- Developing Self and Others