Legal and Governance Officer
We provide homes for people who need them and services to help our customers lead better lives.
We own and manage more than 7,000 properties across the East Midlands and Yorkshire and the Humber, helping thousands of people in our communities every single day.
This includes homes for affordable rent, homes for students and homes for older people. We even develop new homes to help people get on the property ladder.
And we have a distinct way of doing all this. Everything we do is for our customers. We think positively, we try to say ‘yes’ more often, we work collaboratively, we try to overcome any barriers placed in our way, we encourage innovation and, in simple terms, get things done. This is called The Acis Way.
Position: Legal and Governance Officer
Location: Gainsborough, Lincolnshire (commutable from Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Lincoln, Worksop & surrounding areas)
Job type: Full Time, Permanent (Flexible working considered)
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £18,500 to £27,730.71 dependant on qualification level
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days (1 per full year of service) after five years, plus public holidays, Company pension matched up to 8% Flexible working, Cash allowance for essential car users.
Closing date for applications: 2nd September, 2019
Interviews are scheduled for: 19 September 2019
About the role:
Your role is mainly about providing support and assistance to the Head of Legal and Governance. Your role has two main strands to it; legal and governance. The legal side of your role will see you working on some of the legal work that comes into the team, and we have a wide range of different enquiries and matters that come in. The governance side of your role is all about ensuring that the Acis group remains compliant with all its statutory and regulatory governance requirements.
- You will deal with Right to Buy, Right to Acquire and Shared Ownership matters.
- You will work on other straight forward or routine legal issues that come into the team, continually gaining experience and knowledge.
- Investigating the background to any of the insurance claims that come our way, and liaising with our insurers on them.
- Making sure that all the arrangements are made for our Board and Committees. You will prepare agendas, collate the meeting papers and ensure that they are all distributed by the deadline.
- You will be the lead officer for one of our important Committees. You will go to their meetings and minute them, making sure you note any actions that come out of the meeting, and recording all their decisions. You will ensure that these are all done professionally and timely.
- You will help arrange and coordinate Acis’ Annual General Meeting.
- You will make sure that all the statutory company registers are kept up to date.
- A great standard of education, with at least 5 GCSEs at grades A-C (or equivalent) with one being in English.
- Started, or be desperate to start studying towards the Chartered Legal Executive qualification, and in return we will support you financially with this.
- Excellent typing skills.
- The ability to take accurate minutes of meetings.
- Resilience. Working in social housing is a challenging but rewarding career. You’ll be helping to bring real change to our customers’ lives.
- A qualification in typing, and minute taking if you have it, would be amazing.
- ECDL or similar for all our computing needs.
- You’ve experience of working within a legal environment.
- You have already started studying toward your Chartered Legal Executive qualification.
- You can find solutions in creative ways, to a wide range of issues is one of your strengths.
- You have worked within the housing sector before.
We may close this vacancy earlier than the stated closing date if the volume of applicants is high.
Acis are committed to equality and diversity, are a proud member of disability confident and welcome applications from any applicant who feel they hold the essential skills to fulfil the role. We recognise that people need flexibility in their role and we’re happy to discuss flexible working options with the successful candidate.
You may have experience of the following: Legal Counsel, Company Secretary, International Compliance, Governance Consultant, Risk, Legal Compliance Officer, Governance Compliance Officer, Legal Officer, Governance Officer, Legal & Governance Officer, etc.
£18,500 to £27,730.71
9 days ago
Legal and Governance Officer