We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced or newly qualified Legal Assistant to join us and support our In-house Legal Counsel.
We are looking for someone with legal knowledge in relation to corporate and commercial law to carry out company secretarial and legal functions for us and our subsidiary organisations. Also providing a range of in-house legal advice to the Procurement and Contracts Specialist, where relevant, in relation to contractual matters.
- Maintain statutory registers and filing of annual returns, accounts and company changes ensuring compliance with legal requirements on a timely and accurate basis
- Provide expert, accurate, timely practical and commercially sound advice in response to the business’s needs, whether by reviewing, drafting and negotiating agreements and documents, researching legal issues and providing ad hoc legal advice or otherwise and pro-actively to remain updated on relevant legal developments and keep the business informed, as appropriate.
- Assist in operating statutory compliance programmes such as in relation to data protection.
- Provide legal advice and support relating to contractual and procurement matters with which the Procurement and Contracts Specialist is dealing
- Assist the In-house Legal Counsel and Director of Corporate Affairs in relation to Board, Board sub-committee and subsidiary administration, including preparing agenda, drafting Board and sub-committee reports and drafting minutes.
- Work alongside the Director of Corporate Affairs, Chairs of the Board and sub-committees and the Leadership Team to ensure all follow-up actions are completed and communications are carried out, as appropriate.
- Review training requirements of Directors and in conjunction with the In-house Legal Counsel devise a training programme. Make arrangements for Board training to facilitate each Director being able to achieve appropriate and relevant training each year maintaining up to date records of all training. To assist in the Board’s Skills Audit and Evaluation process.
- Assist the In-house Legal Counsel and Director of Corporate Affairs in relation to arrangements for and organisation of directors’ elections and members’ meetings for Southern Co-op and all group subsidiaries and associated organisations in compliance with their respective Rules/Memorandum and Articles including attendance at members’ meetings to assist in the running of them on the day.
- Provide assistance to and/or cover for other members of the Corporate Affairs department at times of annual leave, sickness or when workload requires it, so far as own commitments allow, to ensure the operational needs of the department are met.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Legal knowledge in relation to corporate and commercial law (e.g. IP/IT; digital, marketing, property, contracts, franchising, regulatory compliance, retail, end of life services, environmental)
- Previous experience with an in-house legal team or in private practice
- Commercial awareness and understanding of key factors such as sustainability, co-operative values and principles, risk management and ethical issues and their relevance in relation to contractual arrangements.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to multi-task
- High level of literacy and ability to write reports clearly and concisely with attention to detail
- Able to work under own initiative, both individually and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with colleagues at all levels of seniority across the business
- High standards of personal and professional integrity
- Self motivation and enthusiasm
- Willingness to learn, desire to gain further knowledge through training and development
- 5 GCSEs including Maths and English at grade C/4 equivalent or above
- 3 A levels grade C/4 or equivalent or above
- Paralegal qualification desirable
If you’re passionate and have a background working in a fast-paced environment then we would love to hear from you. In return, we will offer a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to develop your skills and grow your career.