The Media Relations Manager will manage a team of Media Relations Officers. They will be responsible for active liaison with the Head of Corporate Affairs, Internal Communications and External Affairs Managers, and with key stakeholders at DfE and others, as appropriate, to ensure effective, strategic and brand-consistent engagement with relevant media.
• To develop and deliver integrated media and stakeholder communications campaigns that effectively deliver key messages to target audiences
• To work with colleagues across the business to identify and shape story ideas capable of supporting the SLC brand and objectives
• To efficiently manage the day-to-day Press Office. Ensuring that all media enquiries are dealt with in a timely and appropriate manner. Liaising with colleague in the business as required.
• Manage the relationship with the DfE Press Office (and other stakeholders, as appropriate) to ensure media relations are joined up and consistent with strategy and protocols
• Manage information flows from external sources to ensure relevant members of ELT, SMT and Board are regularly and swiftly appraised of imminent and actual, relevant media coverage/ issues arising which may elicit media coverage
• Work with the Head of Corporate Affairs to identify and develop media contacts to further SLC’s strategic aims
• Work collaboratively with External Affairs and Internal Communications colleagues to ensure brand consistency, tone of voice and strategy extension across the whole landscape of Corporate Affairs’ activity
• Ensure all media engagement is consistent with the SLC brand and strategic objectives and aligned with key stakeholder policies and procedures
• There may be times when you will also be expected to carry out other reasonable management instructions or requests to suit the business needs.
• To regularly evaluate engagement with media and stakeholder audiences, and to ensure regular and rigorous evaluation of activity.
ResponsibilitiesEssential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Extensive experience of working in a busy Press Office, media or media agency environment
• Demonstrable experience of managing complex projects and team(s) to achieve results in line with corporate objectives
• Sound understanding of a busy operating environment, with the skills to gather information from across the business and align it effectively with strategy
• Good negotiating, project and people management skills
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills and first class attention to detail
• Comfort and competence in negotiating effectively with senior colleagues and journalists (Likely to have conflicting views and priorities)
• A high degree of discretion and professionalism
• Confidence and a competence in devising and implementing complex media interaction, plus the commitment to meaningfully evaluate results
• Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to build and maintain relationships and influence stakeholder networks
• Proven experience in managing and adhering to strategic budget parameters
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
Here are just some examples from a list of many:
• flexible working contracts
• performance related pay awards
• retail discounts
• buy and sell holidays