In order to deliver our vision we need to be a flexible, innovative and collaborative department that connects with industry, business, research and development communities, consumers and all the other parts of the UK economy. We need to make evidence based policy decisions driven by coherent, exploitable and shared data. We need to connect with our customers, partners and other stakeholders in a business like way – embracing the full potential of the digital era. And we need to use the best modern technology to maximise our own productivity
This is underpinned by 4 strategic enablers:
1. People, skills and culture: a culture where Digital is embraced, understood and valued.
2. Partner, enable, assure: provide the tools, processes and support to empower teams to deliver quality services which meet government standards and user needs.
3. Service delivery: the design, build and delivery of services is agile - providing value for money through reuse of data and components and delivering services more quickly and effectively.
4. Continuous improvement: the ambition to continually improve is instilled in everything that we do. We seek feedback from our users and the data we capture to understand user behaviour to improve services and inform future service developments.
So we need a strong Digital, Data and Technology function that provides excellent services to the Department, enabling collaboration with our colleagues to deliver exceptional services for the consumers and businesses we serve. We currently have circa 120 posts in the team, with an annual budget allocation of circa £20m. There is an interim organisational structure in place pending the approval of a strategy that you will have the opportunity to shape and then deliver.
The Department has rolled out a G-cloud technology platform with a resilient infrastructure to provide the latest software to staff. We have only just begun to consider how we might exploit the opportunities presented by the latest technology. Therefore, we need a strong and experienced team to help both the Department and the function understand the possibilities and potential of the digital era and play a key role in the transformation of both the way we work and the services we deliver.
For further information please follow this link to view the BEIS Digital recruitment film:
About the Role
You will work within the Service Management and Architecture functions within Digital and are responsible for the planning, development and security of BEIS cloud-based IT Network and Communication services.
You will investigate and progress IT solutions and to improve IT service capability and capacity to meet business needs.
About the team
The Technology Services team is tasked with supporting and developing our cloud infrastructure and application platforms. You will work with Network & Comms colleagues and suppliers to develop and maintain our core network services
● Responsible for third line resolution of IT network infrastructure incidents across service, core network switching and routing and assist in the security of all infrastructure platforms.
● Identify, diagnose and resolve all IT related issues that require expertise beyond second line, via the IT support ticketing system.
● Responsible for monitoring, alerting and maintaining of the network environment including all LAN/WAN and telephony platforms, making suggestions to stakeholders where changes are required.
● Work with the technical architects to make recommendations towards service improvements and standards.
● Own responsibility for network changes following business processes to ensure that delivery is within agreed SLAs.
● Monitor trends to be able to proactively respond to issues to support the business
● Work with the Network Lead to create process and policies to ensure necessary governance and reporting is in place.
● Problem solving attitude required towards technical tasks and challenges
● Works on issues daily and on proactively planning upgrades on a monthly basis, ensuring capacity to delivery
What we are looking for:
● Cloud based network technologies and infrastructure (AWS/Azure)
● Networking Concepts, such as Transmission Control Protocol, Internet Protocol, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, IP Addressing, Variable Length Subnet Masks, Remote Access, cabling systems, wiring topologies, and security.
● Enterprise wireless solutions
● LAN, WAN, design and implementation.
● Network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
● Corporate Telephony technologies
● Must possess the ability to write, read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation and OEM guides.
● Can work closely with business partners on telephony related issues to assess impact and manage clients
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.