Network Engineer | Dunstable | Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a Network Engineer within our Support Centre in Dunstable. Looking for the opportunity to deliver a scalable software-defined network to new a large number of locations? Would you like the chance to be involved with bleeding-edge technologies? If so, then we would love to hear from you!
Whitbread is the UK's leading hospitality company in the FTSE 100 including brands such as Premier Inn and Beefeater. By the end of 2020, our goal is to increase the number of Premier Inn UK rooms to an incredible 85,000. All while creating around 3,000 UK jobs a year and continuing to expand our presence worldwide. There has never been a more exciting time to Whitbread!
About the role:
Our network engineering team here at Whitbread are facing an exciting period of growth and there is a real opportunity to have ownership of the Whitbread network, including performance, capacity and lifecycle management.
We're expanding our team to deliver SD-WAN, LAN, WAN, WiFi, Telephony, Cloud projects across:
- Premier Inn
- Restaurants (Beefeater, Bar and Block, Brewers Fayre, Table Table, Thyme.
- Head Office
We are proud of our tech stack, you'll have the opportunity to work with Juniper, Cisco, Meraki, HP Aruba.
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing and implementing new network solutions and/or improving the efficiency of current networks
- Monitoring network performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- Monitor system resource utilisation, trending, and capacity planning
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- Select and implement security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with Information Security
- Installing, configuring and supporting network equipment including routers, security appliances, switches, wireless access points, and similar
- Procuring network equipment and managing subcontractors and third-parties involved with network installation
- Maximising network performance through ongoing monitoring and troubleshooting
- Arranging scheduled upgrades
- Investigating faults in the network, working collaboratively with the Network Services third-party
- Updating network equipment to the latest firmware releases
- Ensure that virtual maintenance processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate social responsibility, environmental and technical policies and applicable standards and legislation.
- Implement and manage status reporting, metrics and benchmarks of network status and performance to key stakeholders.
- Conduct relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure services they provide cost-effectively meet the needs of the organisation.
- Engage with Architecture function to ensure product and technical alignment to architecture strategy.
- Work with the Information Security and Internal Audit to ensure that the platform is effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
- Review and accept new releases of software from vendors, and manage the deployment of software into the managed estate.
- Ensure Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity tests are planned and manage the execution of such tests within Whitbread.
What you’ll need:
- Solid understanding of the Meraki cloud-managed infrastructure system
- Solid understanding of the OSI and TCP/IP model
- Cisco infrastructure devices (switching/routing)
- Deep understanding of networking protocols (e.g., IPSEC, HSRP, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS)
- Solid understanding of 802.1x authentication
- The latest industry trends / standards / tools / technologies / trends for technical solutions management in the enterprise networking arena.
- Demonstrable, strong working knowledge of ITIL Service Management framework and process areas