Do you relish the challenge being part of a growing business, a team, an industry, and seeing the energy you help generate? Are you at your best when contributing to a range of projects and collaborating across teams to solve the problems of the futures?
Within CSA Catapult we look beyond the status quo. We look to employ people based on ability and attitude; we measure what you deliver and how you do it. We encourage collaboration in everything we do as we value the diversity of thought that we each bring to every challenge.
Who are we? The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. Increasing demand for clean energy will require new electricity networks, while advanced sensing will open-up new opportunities for health diagnostics and security. These developments will be underpinned by Compound Semiconductor (CS) technologies.
We are a Not for Profit organisation; here to help the UK economy grow, and we work across the UK with a range of industry sectors from automotive to medical, and from digital communications to aerospace. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help bridge the gap between idea and implementation by removing the barriers often faced by SMEs.
We are a small company but undergoing rapid growth and so we need to expand our Packaging team with an individual who can support the design of packages for all three technical divisions: Photonics, RF and Microwave, and Power Electronics.
- Design of Optoelectronic/Power Electronics/RF packaging from concept to mechanical design and detailing
- Design of mechanical fixtures and jigs to support assembly and test
- Simulation of parts to understand thermal transfer, stress and mechanical fatigue
- Work closely with integrated project team to understand technical requirements and translate them into designs
- Provide support and documentation of prototype builds
About you; you will have
- A degree in product design or similar
- Strong CAD user (SolidWorks or equivalent)
- Experience in using CAD for product development and industrial design
- Good understanding of microelectronics manufacturing processes
- Good materials knowledge
- Knowledge of one or more of the following packaging technologies: Optoelectronics, Power Electronics, RF and microwave
- Understanding of electronics
- Knowledge of product design for harsh environments
Behaviours and attributes
Enthusiasm, drive, and commitment.
Able to translate technical jargon and processes into something accessible.
A team player; understanding that the value you bring is more than the sum of a job description. Able to bring people together both inside and outside a business to share a common goal.
Tenacious and versatile; you’re excited at the idea of multiple projects.
Mobile; collaborating will mean getting out of the office from time to time, though overnighting is likely very minimal.
What do we offer?
- Up to £40,000 salary (FTE). We don’t need to know what your current salary is.
- Staff bonus scheme.
- 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions.
- Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey.
- Payment for a professional membership each year.
- Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you.
- Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we’ll put in 10%.
- 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays.
- Holiday carryover.
- Private medical insurance for you and your family.
- Life Assurance.
- A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with.