Do you relish the challenge being part of a growing business, a team, an industry, and seeing the energy you help generate? Are you at your best when contributing to a range of projects and collaborating across teams to solve the problems of the futures?
Within CSA Catapult we look beyond the status quo. We look to employ people based on ability and attitude; we measure what you deliver and how you do it. We encourage collaboration in everything we do as we value the diversity of thought that we each bring to every challenge.
Who are we? The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. Increasing demand for clean energy will require new electricity networks, while advanced sensing will open-up new opportunities for health diagnostics and security. These developments will be underpinned by Compound Semiconductor (CS) technologies.
We are a Not for Profit organisation; here to help the UK economy grow, and we work across the UK with a range of industry sectors from automotive to medical, and from digital communications to aerospace. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help bridge the gap between idea and implementation by removing the barriers often faced by SMEs.
We are small but undergoing rapid growth and so we need to expand our Photonics team with an individual from the world of photonics/optoelectronics to work in a multi-disciplinary team, on a range of R&D projects in photonics and sensing.
1. Designing and assembling optical systems and sub-assemblies using a combination of light sources and sensors
2. Creation of test setups for optical systems using a combination of optical sources and sensors
3. Develop prototypes and photonics evaluation modules within a multi-disciplinary team
4. Identifying components required for the sub-assemblies and working with suppliers
About you; you will have
* A Masters or higher-level qualification within optoelectronics, photonics, semiconductor or equivalent industry
* Experience in multi-discipline engineering activities including instrumentation development (optics, electronics, mechanics)
* Experience in designing optical systems
* Breadboard optics alignment, laser beam manipulation and experience working with fibre optics
* Fluent in written and spoken English
* Embedded systems control
* Familiar with engineering lifecycle management
* History of translating research output into working prototypes
* Proficient in Microsoft Office products
* Skills in data analytics, familiar with Matlab, Python and other programming skills
* Zemax optical design and analysis experience
Behaviours and attributes
Enthusiasm, drive, and commitment.
Able to translate technical jargon and processes into something accessible.
A team player; understanding that the value you bring is more than the sum of a job description. Able to bring people together both inside and outside a business to share a common goal.
Tenacious and versatile; you’re excited at the idea of multiple projects.
Mobile; collaborating will mean getting out of the office from time to time, though overnighting is likely very minimal.
What do we offer?
* Up to £40,000 salary (FTE).
* Staff bonus scheme.
* 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions.
* Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey.
* Payment for a professional membership each year.
* Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what work for you
* Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we’ll put in 10%.
* 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays.
* Holiday carryover.
* Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
* Life Assurance
* A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with