To meet that challenge, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy is growing its team within the Energy Transformation and Clean Growth Group and Energy and Security Group, which between them spearhead our efforts to meet the Government’s commitment to net zero. The Groups are made up of a number of Directorates, and there will be opportunities across most or all of them.
The Directorates making up each Group are:
Energy Transformation and Clean Growth
• Clean Growth
• International Climate and Energy
• Energy Efficiency and Local
• Clean Heat
• Science and Innovation for Climate and Energy
• Smart Metering Implementation Programme
• Industrial Energy
• EU Exit Energy and Climate Change
Energy and Security
• Energy Development and Resilience
• Energy Security, Markets and Networks
• Clean Power Strategy and Deployment
• Nuclear Directorate
This is an opportunity to be at the heart of the effort to make the UK a green economy, leading fundamental change across every aspect of people’s lives and contributing to our international leadership, as well as ensuring we make this change in a way that is fair to everyone in our society, and which makes the most of the economic opportunities for the UK.
• Shaping strategy, and new policy and legislation, to decarbonise the UK’s homes, public sector and business buildings
• Crafting a plan to roll out low carbon heat across the whole economy
• Working with industries such as iron and steel, plastics or chemicals to understand the action needed for them to move towards
• Engaging with the independent Committee on Climate Change as they develop their advice on forthcoming legally binding greenhouse gas emission targets, and the overall pathway and strategy towards net zero
You may be working on taking new legislation through Parliament, advising Government Ministers on new ideas to build markets for energy efficiency or low carbon products, engaging with international partners as we head towards the landmark UN climate summit to be held in Glasgow in late 2020, or handling the delivery of billions of pounds of investment through grants, loans and other policy levers.
ResponsibilitiesPerson specification and essential criteria
Because we are looking to fill a number of roles through this exercise, we are not looking for a single, fixed set of skills. We encourage applications from people with a diverse set of experience and backgrounds. Successful candidates will potentially:
• Contribute to policy development or delivery, working closely with the rest of our team
• Work collaboratively with analysts, other specialists and partners to assess the impacts of different policy options and develop delivery plans
• Build specialist expertise for your policy area and develop advice for Ministers and senior officials on Government policy on net zero
Desirable skills will vary by role and not every role will need all of the following, but include:
• Experience of solving problems and using evidence to support decisions
• Good communications skills, and able to build and manage relationships with both internal and external partners
• Policy or project delivery experience is desirable but not required, however you will need to demonstrate a desire to develop the right skills for the post
• Most importantly, you should have enthusiasm for this area of work and the desire to work in a team
We would welcome applications from people with some previous knowledge of or interest in energy and climate policy, but this is by no means essential.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and help BEIS deliver a brilliant and high quality service for our customers. Therefore, we welcome ethnic minority applicants in particular, as our data shows they are under-represented in certain areas.
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace