We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work, and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
Amey and Trafford Council are working in partnership to deliver environmental and infrastructure services for Trafford. The new partnership, formed in 2015, delivers commercial and domestic waste collections, street cleaning, grounds maintenance, highway services, bridges, road safety, street lighting and furniture, drainage, and property services. The partnership will maintain and improve nearly 800 km of roads, 17,000 km of footways, 150 structures, 30,000 street columns, and illuminated signs, and 37 parks. Innovative, new technology will be introduced across the services to deliver a more efficient approach for the Council and the residents of Trafford.
The Trafford Highways Consulting account provides the local highway authority function on behalf of Traffic Council. It comprises approximately 40 engineers, technicians, and support staff and is organised into three teams dealing with Traffic, Development Control & Drainage, and Highway Maintenance (including highway structures).
What is the purpose of this role?
To manage and develop the design team within the relevant business area, supporting contracts and projects across Amey, and to achieve targets and project objectives in respect of growth and staff utilisation.
What will this role involve?
- Programme and Budget Preparation and thereafter accountable for Design delivery of schemes to programme and monthly budget
- Ensure all studies, investigation, design, procurement, audits and work contract supervision are carried out in accordance with relevant requirements
- Prioritise and control all design activities across the relevant business area
- Ensure compliance with statutory, contractual, legal and special requirements
- Responsible for Design Procurement and Design Check Certification
- Provide professional and technical advice throughout the areas in which operating
- Promote professional development for the business area all necessary bids, orders and programmes are submitted
- Set and maintain high standards and ensure Clients are satisfied with the performance.
- Develop, maintain and own client relationships to promote long-term partnerships
- Embrace and control compliance with Company procedures, policies and delivery plans, as well as the Consulting Compliance and Improvement Plan
- Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental issues are given the highest priority
- Develop and drive forward innovation and new business initiatives
- Ensure necessary scheme consultation, liaison, coordination and interface with stakeholders are carried out
- an ambassador of the Amey Values
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Inter-Urban, Local Government, Built Environment and Consulting to develop and deliver the business plans
- Be an active member of the design team
- Report on day-to-day issues in the relevant business area
- Develop, maintain and own client relationships to promote long-term relationships
- From time to time site visits to construction sites will be required at part of site supervision support and leadership depending on the projects the team is involved in
What are we looking for?
- Chartered Engineer
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
- Project Management experience.
- Computer literate and conversant with relevant engineering software packages
- Experience in technical delivery as well as leading and managing roads and structures schemes
- Experience in leading and managing teams
- Good communication skills and the ability to work within a team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, supply chain, consultants, elected representatives, and the public
- Client-focused approach to service delivery
What makes this role unique?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have an impact, making a genuine difference in people's lives. It's what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can be you, because your individuality is an asset. You'll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You'll lead a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You'll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You'll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfill your ambitions as well as the shared one.
We don't believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other's perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.