About the job
As a senior member of the Corporate Property team, you will support Defra’s ownership and occupation of properties, ensuring they are being managed to best effect. You will:
• Oversee a portfolio of transactional challenges on matters relating to the acquisition, disposal and valuation of properties, including commercial landlord and tenant issues. These properties could range from offices, warehouses and depots to fish traps and sluices.
• Lead the day-to-day estate management of Defra properties, commissioning services and interpreting data to monitor the performance of external providers and continually raise standards.
• Travel to support staff mainly in England, but also in Scotland and Wales too. Their projects will be varied, incorporating remits such as flood defence maintenance and cattle movement tracking, and the properties associated with these tasks will therefore be equally varied.
• Work with 3rd party suppliers and your own extensive network to find solutions to challenges such as sourcing an appropriate property for staff responding to a disease outbreak.
• Develop the skills of your team, sharing your professional and technical knowledge to ensure a constant pipeline of talent is being nurtured.
This is a fast-paced role in which the team will look to you for guidance and motivation, and we will expect you to deliver value-for-money solutions on behalf of the tax payer. As such, you will be degree-qualified with a professional surveying qualification (ideally the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) and you will have considerable estate management experience. With good business and commercial acumen, you will have the capacity to build well-considered business cases, with your advice ultimately affecting policy decisions. A team-player with great partnership skills, you will be an inspirational leader with the capacity to work with colleagues at all levels, including Senior Officials and Ministers.
Everyone in Defra is supported to develop their skills and capabilities. You will have access to learning and development from quality providers and support from mentors and coaches. We offer flexible working alongside a range of other policies and schemes to support your physical and emotional wellbeing. Our comprehensive benefits offer includes generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, volunteering days, childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options, and an employee discount scheme.