Think big, create better
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
Our partnership with Swindon Borough Council commenced earlier this year following our successful bid to be sole provider on their Professional Services Framework contract which runs for 3+1 years. Our initial work programme includes a wide range of highways structures related schemes from inspections and maintenance to bridge strengthening and replacement projects.
We now have a new role for a Principal Highway Structures Engineer to lead and develop our Swindon based team.
Working closely with the Swindon Borough Council Bridge Manager you will be involved in all aspects of structures management, upgrade, replacement and maintenance. In addition, you will provide support to other teams, including major projects and local developments to deliver larger infrastructure projects across the south of England.
We seek a motivated Principal Highway Structures Engineer with demonstrable experience of DMRB and other standards, experience in structures management and maintenance, accompanied with a practical and progressive attitude to safety and scheme delivery. You will lead a structures team; delivering maintenance and improvement schemes to ensure all structures remain in use and fit for purpose and providing technical support and direction to Apprentices, Assistant, Civil and Senior Engineers.
In a typical week you will:
- Provide expert technical advice to SBC and other clients.
- Lead on individual schemes and programmes of work, to include refurbishment of heritage structures, bridge replacement, strengthening and modification
- Support other South and Midland based teams in the delivery of new highway infrastructure, for example major projects and development
- Undertake structural design/checking to Eurocodes associated with a diverse range of highway structures
- Undertake assessment/checking for load capacity, scour and vehicle incursion
- Prepare financial estimates, feasibility studies, contract documents, bids and scheme budget reporting
- Provide leadership of the structures team to ensure compliance with all technical and safety standards
- Identify safe, efficient and practical structural maintenance and improvement solutions
- Produce and review Safe Systems of Work in line with the Amey Zero Safety Code
- Work with contract partners to deliver risk-based prioritised maintenance, upgrade and replacement schemes, safely, to cost and programme
- Work with other highway operational teams and 3rd parties to coordinate the efficient delivery of structures maintenance, whilst demonstrating least disruption to highway users.
- Do site visits and inspections to define maintenance requirements and undertake compliance checking
- Liaise with both internal and external customers/stakeholders to advise on any aspect of structural maintenance and management
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You are Chartered, held with an appropriate professional body - specifically CEng MICE or CEng MIStructE
- You have proven team leadership and people management capabilities
- You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Senior/Principal/Associate Engineer role or equivalent
- You are an accredited trainer with a relevant professional institution, e.g. Delegated Engineer for the Institution of Civil Engineers
- You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Civil Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are experienced in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
- You have knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers