Amey Consulting provide design and other support services to Staffordshire County Council (SCC) and developers across the whole of the county. We are looking to support the Structures Team with the addition of a Principal Highway Structures Engineer.
As part of our Structures Team, you will become involved in all aspects of structures management, upgrade, replacement and maintenance. On behalf of SCC we maintain a diverse range of structures with over 5000 assets on the structures inventory, including 1000+ road bridges and county dams. Working closely with Amey Highways we deliver approximately 100 maintenance and improvement schemes each year. In addition, we support other teams, including major projects and local developments to deliver larger infrastructure projects.
We seek a motivated Principal Highway Structures Engineer with demonstrable experience of DMRB and other standards, experience in structures management and maintenance, accompanied with a practical and progressive attitude to safety and scheme delivery. You will be a leading member of the 14 strong structures team; delivering maintenance and improvement schemes to ensure all structures remain in use and fit for purpose and providing technical support and direction to our Graduate, Assistant, Civil and Senior Engineers.
Our partnership with Staffordshire County Council was established in 2014 and is a £1bn pound initiative to help deliver sustainable economic growth to the region. Our 70-person strong Staffordshire Design Hub (SDH) is based in central Stafford and in the same building as SCC, which are a short walk from the train station and with excellent road links to Birmingham, Derby, Manchester and Telford. We have a progressive, flexible attitude towards accommodating work life balance and flexible/agile working.
In a typical week you will:
- Provide expert technical advice to SCC and third-party projects
- Lead on individual schemes and programmes of work, to include refurbishment of heritage structures, bridge replacement, strengthening and modification
- Support other SDH teams in the delivery of new highway infrastructure, for example major projects and development
- Undertake structural design/checking to Eurocodes associated with a diverse range of highway structures
- Undertake assessment/checking for load capacity, scour and vehicle incursion
- Prepare financial estimates, feasibility studies, contract documents, bids and scheme budget reporting
- Support the Structures Manager and other team members to ensure compliance with all technical and safety standards
- Identify safe, efficient and practical structural maintenance and improvement solutions
- Produce Safe Systems of Work in line with the Amey Zero Safety Code
- Work with contract partners to deliver risk-based prioritised maintenance, upgrade and replacement schemes, safely, to cost and programme
- Work with other highway operational teams and 3rd parties to coordinate the efficient delivery of structures maintenance, whilst demonstrating least disruption to highway users.
- Do site visits and inspections to define maintenance requirements and undertake compliance checking
- Liaise with both internal and external customers/stakeholders to advise on any aspect of structural maintenance and management
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You are Chartered, held with an appropriate professional body - specifically CEng MICE or CEng MIStructE
- You are capable of acting as an engineering lead
- You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Senior/Principal/Associate Engineer role or equivalent
- You are an accredited trainer with a relevant professional institution, e.g. Delegated Engineer for the Institution of Civil Engineers
- You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Civil Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are experienced in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
- You have knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers