About Government Shared Services
Government Shared Services (GSS) is the centre of expertise working across departments to make it easier for civil servants to access and use platforms to interact with HR, finance and payroll services. We support departments developing modern, effective shared services that save money with a focus on modernising services so that the Civil Service becomes digital on the inside. This means making more and more back office transactions mobile-accessible and user-friendly.
Throughout this work GSS will work closely with the HR and Finance functions to ensure alignment of activity and outcomes, collaborate across Government and play a central part in cross-government transformation. Working at GSS offers exciting opportunities for exposure across Whitehall, and - with a board chaired by the Chief Executive of the Civil Service - the chance to work and influence at the highest levels of the Civil Service.
About the Digital and Analysis Team
The Digital and Analysis team are part of GSS and we design, deliver and manage a range of digital recruitment platforms and services that are used across the Civil Service to recruit roles at all career entry points and across all specialisms. Civil Service Jobs is used by 2.2m active users and is used by 190 government organisations with close to 1m applications for 50,000 posts in a year.
We design, deliver and manage a digital learning platform used across government to build capability, grow careers and support the objectives of government departments and professional groups. Civil Service Learning is used by 415,000 civil servants and 133 government organisations with over 50,000 courses accessed per month.
We provide data analysis and research that supports central CSHR teams and, in particular, users of our learning and recruitment services, to understand what is working, track its impact and, improve the quality of our work.
About the Role
The teams are mainly based in London and Bristol. This role will be based on Bristol.
What are we offering?
This is an exciting role working on improving expert recruitment services provided across government. As a Product Manager, you will be responsible for creating, supporting and continuously improving our recruitment products. Leading a multidisciplinary team, you will use your knowledge of user needs and business goals to write effective user stories and set priorities for our delivery teams. Working closely with the Service Manager and Delivery Manager, you will seek out opportunities to optimise delivery, while ensuring quality standards are attained and maintained.
As an experienced Product Manager, you will own the product roadmap, make informed prioritisation decisions, champion user needs and effectively communicate the product vision in a fast-paced delivery environment. You will contribute to the communication plan and participate in communication channels as required.
The role requires a critical balance of digital and stakeholder management expertise. An excellent communicator, you will communicate the vision for the product and prioritise development to support the vision.
You will have an excellent understanding of agile and digital technology and proven experience of using agile to deliver high availability, high traffic services. As Product Manager, you will have an excellent understanding of continuous improvement and will ensure that we effectively gather feedback and iterate the product to deliver a better service to our users across the product life cycle.
What are my responsibilities?
As a Product Manager you will:
● Lead one or more multi-disciplinary teams to deliver products and iteratively improve them through several phases.
● Develop an expert understanding of the users’ needs and champion these in the delivery of your product and associated services.
● Develop and autonomously own the vision, backlogs and roadmaps for your products, regularly iterating them to meet the changing needs of users, while maintaining its alignment to the overall roadmap.
● Identify and develop product principles, practices and processes to allow teams to collaboratively build the right thing, the right way.
● Coordinate product development with other product teams to minimise risks and manage dependencies.
● Engage with users and stakeholders through a range of channels to encourage take-up and use of your product.
● Set measurable goals for your product and report against these to demonstrate progress against stated benefits.
● Play an active role in the GDS product manager community sharing your learning, celebrating progress made by other people and teams, and providing line management to other product managers.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for someone who has impressive product management skills. You will be an individual with strong interpersonal skills, who likes working in a delivery focused, agile environment with multi-disciplinary teams. You will be someone who takes pride in representing users, likes making data-driven decisions about priorities, and enjoys the challenge of promoting the products they are working on.
It’s essential that you have:
● Experience of product management with a track-record for shipping and evolving great digital products by working with multidisciplinary teams in an agile delivery setting.
● Experience of creating, maintaining and prioritising product backlogs and roadmaps to direct the work of delivery teams, especially with a view to driving adoption of products and services.
● Have a thorough understanding of a variety of disciplines involved in digital delivery, including software development, service design, performance analysis and user research.
● Experience of engaging with users, commissioning research and turning qualitative and quantitative insight into product improvements.
● Familiarity with setting, monitoring and reporting measurable product performance objectives.
● Experience of engagement with senior management, representing the work of your team and demonstrating its contribution to overall organisation goals, especially in terms of tangible benefits to users.
● Have strong verbal, written and visual communication skills that you are able to tailor to the needs of the audience.
● Experience of leading, managing and coaching a high performing team.
● Experience of taking a product from concept through to a live, mature service.
It’s desirable that you have:
● An understanding of new and emerging recruitment technologies and the opportunities they provide to improve the delivery of public services in the UK.
● Been in a role with a focus on operational maturity and ensuring a consistent approach to user and technical operational support.
Do you think you've got what it takes to do a role like this? If so, we want to hear from you!
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing