About the job
Do you want to support the development of ‘A Brilliant Civil Service’? Would you like to help departments to deliver their workforce plans in support of government priorities?
If so, we would like to hear from you.
Part of Civil Service HR, Civil Service Employee Policy (CSEP) provides HR expertise for the Civil Service, through expert partnering with departments across government to deliver tailored HR consultancy, develop model HR policies and inform the strategic direction of the Civil Service.
Across Whitehall, we are recognised as expert partners and the people who 'get things done'. In addition to developing policies we also have five service lines and this role is part of the highly rated Civil Service Pay and Reward team.
Working in CS Pay and Reward provides the opportunity to work in the heart of government and gain experience across pay and reward whilst engaging with other parts of HR and the diverse range of Civil Service departments.
About Civil Service Pay & Reward Service
Departments have delegated authority to make their own pay and reward decisions, and CS Employee Policy is, at departments’ request, providing a pay and reward service to support them in this. We do this through the provision of a range of high quality advisory, consultancy and market insight services designed to meet departmental needs.
All team members have a role to play in delivering reward consultancy projects for our customers from definition/ scoping of requirements with departmental contacts, developing solutions and project management activities. Our current priorities include EU Exit, evolving approach to CS reward and legislative compliance in areas such as Gender Pay Gap reporting and National Living Wage.
You can read more about us on our LinkedIn page - https://www.linkedin.com/company/civil-service-employee-policy/
The main focus of this role is research and analysis into issues affecting pay and reward including pay data, qualitative employee data and market insights.
This role could be based in either Leeds, London or Sheffield. If based in Leeds or Sheffield the role would include travel to London.
● Using external market data to respond to departmental data requests, in particular benchmarking requests, used in the development of fair and competitive reward strategies that attract, retain and motivate ‘A Brilliant Civil Service.’
● Research and drafting to support Reward Consultants in providing strategic and operational reward-related advice, analysis or information to CS Employee Policy colleagues and departmental customers.
● Building and using analytical models to gather and assimilate reward knowledge, such as our annual cross-Civil Service salary and allowance survey.
● Developing a solid level of technical HR/ reward and business knowledge.
● Maintaining excellent relationships with key stakeholders, engaging with departments, HM Treasury and Cabinet Office to ensure the service continues to add value and provide expert, timely and innovative strategic reward advice.
● Taking responsibility for personal development and supporting senior consultants to build reward capability and expertise both within Civil Service Pay & Reward and across the Civil Service.
● Basic capability with Excel.
● Be able to collate, analyse, research and present information to support decisions.
● Ability to understand issues, evaluate and assess solutions and likely consequences.
● Explain how decisions have been reached in a clear and concise way, both verbally and in writing.
● Good interpersonal skills to engage with other team members and CSEP customers and to keep abreast of team and CS reward priorities.
● Experience of understanding and working with customer requirements.
● Self-motivation, eagerness and adaptability to learn about reward/ HR/ data analysis.
● Willingness to develop as part of a busy team with a strong delivery focus and customer reputation.
A waiting list will be held for 12 months from which further appointments may be made.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Seeing the Big Picture