Risk Engineer – Mining (Part-Time, Job-Share and Full-Time)
Location: Home-Based – some travel requirements (UK and Internationally)
We have an exciting opportunity to work within our Risk Engineering business as a Risk Engineer. Primarily focussed on the mining industry you will be responsible for ensuring that all Risk Engineering is technically and commercially viable and that first-class customer service is achieved and ensuring that all Risk Engineering policies and standards are defined and implemented.
You will be part of a team who act as an experienced resource to Zurich’s internal Underwriting and Claims teams, Customers and our Global Risk Engineering Network on primarily mining related Property, Construction, Machinery Breakdown and Liability issues. The ideal candidate for this role will have significant experience in mining operations technical consultancy & design, process safety or asset integrity/maintenance roles.
This is a home-based position and will require travel to our London office and client sites internationally.
This role is available part-time, job-share or full time. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren’t available full-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
The role of a Risk Engineer is varied, challenging but very rewarding, therefore accountabilities vary in nature and will include:
- Assessing Risk Quality and Quantum, for Property Damage and Business Interruption and/or Liability in order to assist Underwriters in Risk Selection. This will generally be prior to attachment or at renewal, following losses or acquisitions.
- Carrying out Risk Engineering Surveys of operating mines (soft & hard rock; open pit & underground), concentrators, tailings storage facilities, smelters & refineries both in the UK and worldwide, furnishing underwriters and/or the market with Risk Engineering Reports and the customer with Risk Improvement Recommendations.
- Attending Risk Engineering Surveys carried out by Brokers’ Engineers where possible and validate their findings to underwriters and/or the market.
- Initiating Risk Engineering programmes with key clients, such as office visits to review management practices, before site inspections.
- Advising underwriters on Engineering Risk Issues.
- Obtaining and/or developing Risk Engineering Methods as appropriate.
- Consulting and liaising with other underwriters’ engineers on Risk Engineering issues.
- To support claims validation and investigation processes
- To provide thought leadership and technical insight into risk features of related industries, including lessons from losses
- Be fully conversant with the Zurich Risk Engineering proposition, identify and consult with customers and brokers where opportunities exist to generate additional revenue from the provision of additional value add services.
Your skills and experience:
Successful applications will need to demonstrate the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s (or preferably a Masters level) Degree in Mining Engineering or related subjects (e.g. Mining Geology, Geotechnical Engineering, Mineral Processing, Extractive Metallurgy etc)
- Proven mining industry experience
- Membership of suitable engineering institute (e.g. IOM3, AusIMM CIM etc)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) status - preferable
- Good knowledge of processes and an appreciation of economics within the Mining Industry
- Experience in one or more Risk, Reliability & Safety Engineering methodologies, e.g. HazOp, HazAn, Consequence Analysis, Root-Cause Analysis, FMECA etc.
- Ideally insurance knowledge e.g. risk management programmes, estimated maximum loss concepts and analysis etc.
- Computer Literate (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Databases, Application Programs)
- Ability to promptly research a technical issue, using technical references/contacts
In return we are offering an attractive salary, plus a generous benefits package including bonus and defined contribution pension scheme. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities.
Regular travel required in line with business requirements.
At Zurich we are proud of our culture. We are passionate about Diversity and Inclusion. We want you to bring your whole self to work we have a diverse mix of customers and we want our employee base to reflect that.
Our diversity and inclusion initiatives are creating an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of protected characteristics.
With the above in mind we accept applications from everyone regardless of your background, beliefs or culture however we especially welcome applications from women, people from ethnic minorities, people with a disability and people who are LGBT+ as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust.
We have won numerous awards for our work on Diversity and Inclusion. We are also proud to be nominated for the 2020 Insurance Times award for Diversity and Inclusion. You can read about our awards on our website.
So, make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.