Risk Engineer – Offshore / Exploration and Production (Part-Time, Job-Share and Full-Time)
Location: Home-Based – some travel requirements (UK and Internationally)
This is a great opportunity to work within our Risk Engineering business as an Oil and Gas Offshore / Exploration and Production Risk Engineer. You’ll be responsible for ensuring that all Risk Engineering is technically and commercially viable by providing first class customer service, either directly or by sub-contracted consultants, and ensuring that all Risk Engineering policies and standards are clearly defined and implemented.
As a Subject Matter Expert, you will act as an expert internal resource to teams in Underwriting & Claims, Customers and the wider Zurich Risk Engineering Network on Oil and Gas related Property, Business Interruption, Construction, Machinery Breakdown and Liability/Environmental issues.
You'll have significant offshore / E&P experience in either an operational, asset integrity, well design or drilling supervision role.
This is a home-based role and will require travel to our London office and client sites globally. This role is available part-time, job-share or full time. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren’t available full-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
The role of a Risk Engineer is varied and challenging but very rewarding. Accountabilities vary in nature and will include:
- To assess Risk Quality and Quantum, for Property Damage and Business Interruption and/or Liability in order to assist Underwriters in Risk Selection. This will generally be prior to attachment or at renewal, following losses or acquisitions (offshore).
- To lead Risk Engineering Surveys of exploration and production (E&P) facilities, including platforms, FPSOs and onshore and offshore E&P facilities worldwide, providing Underwriters and/or the market with Risk Engineering Reports and the Customer with Risk Improvement Recommendations.
- To initiate Risk Engineering programmes with key E&P clients, such as office visits to review management practices, before asset inspections.
- To attend Risk Engineering Surveys carried out by Brokers’ Engineers where possible and validate their findings to Zurich underwriters and/or the market.
- To advise Underwriters on engineering risk Issues.
- To consult and liaise with other Underwriters’ engineers on Risk Engineering issues.
- To support claims validation and investigation process.
- To provide thought leadership and technical insight into risk features of related industries, including lessons from losses.
- Be fully conversant with the Zurich Risk Engineering proposition, identify and consult with customers and brokers where opportunities exist to generate additional revenue from the provision of additional value add services.
Your skills and experience:
Successful applications will need to demonstrate the following requirements:
- Bachelors (or preferably a Masters level) Degree in Engineering (Chemical/Mechanical/Drilling preferred)
- Member of Institution of Chemical or Mechanical Engineers, ideally of Chartered Engineering (CEng) status, or working towards.
- Extensive Offshore Oil & Gas / E&P industry experience, in one or more of Design, Operation, Safety, Maintenance, Inspection, etc.
- Good knowledge of Oil/Gas processes, and an appreciation of Oil/Gas economics.
- Experience in one or more Risk, Reliability & Safety Engineering methodologies, eg, HazOp, HazAn, Consequence Analysis, Root-Cause Analysis, FMECA.
- Ideally insurance knowledge eg, risk management programmes, estimated maximum loss concepts and analysis etc
- Computer Literate (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Databases, Application Programs)
- Ability to promptly research a technical issue, using technical references/contacts
In return we are offering an attractive salary, plus a generous benefits package including bonus and defined contribution pension scheme. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities.
Who we are:
Zurich is one of the world’s leading insurance groups, and one of the few to operate on a global basis. Our mission is to help our customers understand and protect themselves from risk. With about 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries, we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. We help individuals, small and medium sized companies and global corporations around the world understand and protect themselves from risk by offering a wide range of insurance products, solutions and advisory services.
Risk selection, pricing and improvement are fundamental to the success of Zurich. To do this effectively requires specialist expertise and understanding of the industries our customers operate in and the hazards to which they are exposed. Zurich’s in-house risk engineering team provide that expertise, which is something that sets us apart in the eyes of our customers.
Regular travel required in line with business requirements.
At Zurich we are proud of our culture. We are passionate about Diversity and Inclusion. We want you to bring your whole self to work we have a diverse mix of customers and we want our employee base to reflect that.
Our diversity and inclusion initiatives are creating an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of protected characteristics.
With the above in mind we accept applications from everyone regardless of your background, beliefs or culture however we especially welcome applications from women, people from ethnic minorities, people with a disability and people who are LGBT+ as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust.
So, make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.