About the School
The School: Millstead is a primary special school with a community of fantastic children who have a wide range of interests, abilities and additional needs (including severe learning difficulties, profound and multiple learning difficulties, sensory impairments and autism). We relocated to our purpose-built school building in September 2014. The facilities include a hydrotherapy pool, rebound therapy room, immersive suite, sensory integration room and 2 playgrounds. Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. These posts are subject to positive references and a DBS check.
About the Role
We are looking to appoint a part-time caretaker to join our premises management team to provide caretaking, security, maintenance and supporting with minor repair works across the school site. This role will support and compliment the work of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that day to day operations run smoothly.
Purpose of the job:
- To undertake a range of caretaking duties including security and supervision of the site and related equipment, and other duties including porterage, cleaning and maintenance.
- Supervision/training of cleaning staff where required.
- Care for identified garden areas, making them useable for the children and appropriate for curriculum use.
- Act as a key holder, carrying out security procedures for the buildings and grounds and the routine and non-routine opening of premises and grounds.
- Take responsibility for the premises and its contents in the absence of the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher or any other designated responsible person
- Deal with enquiries from external contractors on site.
- Undertake additional cleaning to support the Cleaners.
- Within the scope of personal knowledge and training, maintain and repair tools, apparatus and equipment.
- Where this is not practical, refer arrangement for repair and servicing work to be carried out by a contractor.
- Undertake any required tasks in identified garden areas in order for them to be suitable for curriculum delivery and enrichment.
- Take delivery of stocks and materials for the school.
- Carry out porterage within school, move furniture and equipment, as required, assist in setting up for assemblies events etc.
- Ensure that adequate supplies of cleaning materials and other supplies are available.
- Operate the heating and pool plants when requested by the Head/Senior Leadership Team.
- Ensure that all caretaking and cleaning equipment is in a safe and working condition and arranging for repair as appropriate.
- Carry out routine procedures or checks on ancillary equipment.
- Carry out school based emergency procedures e.g. in the event of fire.
- Assist with the supervision and training of cleaning staff in the absence of/as requested by the Head/Senior Leadership Team.
- Contribute to the drawing up and execution of schedules and maintenance plans as necessary.
- Prepare the school premises and site for out of school hours activities.
- Report any damage and assist in organising any necessary repairs.
- Ensure that access and main areas are safe.
- Attend relevant staff meetings, participate in performance management arrangements and undertake training and development activities.
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of children, young and vulnerable people that you come into contact with.
- Experience of maintenance and repair duties
- Experience of gardening activities
- Clear knowledge of safeguarding children guidelines
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety regulations
- Full, clean driving licence.
- Ability to undertake cleaning, routine and emergency repairs
- Physically able to move equipment and furniture and carry out general porterage duties
- Knowledge of COSSH Regulations
- Good IT skills
- Have a real interest in working with pupils with severe learning difficulties;
- Self-Motivated, Enthusiastic, Fit and capable of heavy work
- Work to high standards, both when working with colleagues and when working unsupervised
- Ability to take direction
- Able to work unsupervised
- Sense of humour
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent attendance record.
- Other Emotional resilience in working with pupils who may exhibit challenging behaviours or have complex health needs
- Postholder will be required to work outside of normal school hours on occasion, with due notice
- To undergo an enhanced DBS check – individuals on the ISA barred list should not apply.