About the job
Senior Development Operations (DevOps) Engineers design, build and develop and quality assure the secure, stable and reliable operation of NDEC systems, supporting DevOps teams with expert knowledge and practices.
NDEC are, and will be, at the heart of this response and you will be joining a team of dedicated and diverse professionals who are all committed to making NDEC and the NCA a success.
What are we looking for?
• Experience of efficient and effective ways of using DevOps to tackle business and organisational challenges.
• Excellent skills in applying DevOps techniques and modern software development standards.
• Excellent stakeholder management and consultative skills.
• Experience managing, coaching and mentoring technical team members.
• Experience in applying security standards (DevSecOps) to data systems.
ResponsibilitiesWhat will I be doing?
• Team-leadership: Lead multi-functional teams to develop and deliver strategic and tactical data analytical solutions to operational challenges. Working closely with other data leads to quality assure, advise and ensure enterprise wide standards and contribute to strategies or ways of working, where appropriate.
• Technical Requirements Handling: Identify and manage data requirements to create a usable data product for departmental and wider NCA teams.
• Data Handling: Lead the design and optimisation of data services and DevSecOps best practice for the NCA’s Business Intelligence systems.
• Data Manipulation: Lead and quality assure data exploitation services and provide support to intelligence-led enforcement activity.
• Solution Management: Lead the development of robust and innovative solutions to technical challenges.
• Strategic Thinking: Hold a strategic view of DevOps strategies, software products and components to inform departmental decision-making.
• Quality Assurance: Ensure the quality, secure handling and dissemination of software products, whilst ensuring confidentiality and sensitivity in line with NCA policy.
• Coaching: Provide guidance and support to the technical team members, helping them scope solutions and pursue new ways of working with data and tools.
• Communication: Build working relationships with colleagues across the NCA’s technical community to develop skills and cross-functional working.
• Collaboration: Share and disseminate knowledge and findings across the broader technical and NCA community as appropriate.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
• 2:1 in a STEM degree
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
Failure to provide evidence at interview may result in your application not progressing to the next stage.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Experience and understanding of service support and can champion the values of DevOps / DevSecOps to stakeholders.
- Experience designing systems characterised by levels of risk and technical complexity, selecting the appropriate design standards, methods and tools.
- Deep understanding of information security, with experience in designing solutions with information security specifically embedded to mitigate risks.
- Experience in quality assuring the technical work of the team or colleagues, challenging assumptions and providing support and coordination across systems.
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).