Senior Global Cyber Security Engineer - Network Security SME
Purpose of the Role
This role forms part of the Global Cyber Security Engineering Team; working within the wider Global CISO (Chief Information Security Office) business unit. Your main responsibility will be to deploy, manage, improve and provide domain expertise in a wide range of security tooling including, but not limited to the following technologies:
- Next Generation Firewalls
- Next Generation Intrusion Prevention
- Network malware prevention
- SSL/TLS inspection
- Packet capture
- Network forensics
- Network monitoring
Aviva has multiple network security platforms which need to be globally deployed and managed to help the business detect and remediate security incidents. This will support Aviva in achieving its business objectives via mitigation of any incidents or risks through the adoption of industry standard methodology via policy, effective risk management, assurance and training.
As well as project and business as usual activities, you will be required to be in internal consultant. As such you will be expected to quickly consume network topology data, make security based configuration recommendations and be the Group network security engineering SME.
Please note, this role will not be designing, building or managing networks. Rather, the role is to understand risks and mitigate through security technologies and configurations. As such, an understanding of networks is required but your expertise should be in the design, deployment and management of security tooling.
- Understand the current global network architecture
- Provide network security SME mentorship to regional business units
- Gather Group and regional business requirements, translate them into designs, implement the technologies and train regional and Group security teams
- Manage existing network security technologies, understand emerging threats, technologies and features. Plan, design and implement based upon your recommendations
- Respond to fault tickets and incidents from the Global Security Operations Centre to support security tickets and security engineering improvements
- Be the domain expert in supporting the Group CISO project teams in their delivery of improvements to our security architecture
The role will require flexibility and travel across all time zones as it involves engagement with colleagues from all locations of the global Aviva business. It is imperative that you be a motivated self-starter who can manage your own time and commitments to the business.
You should be able to demonstrate good interpersonal skills, ability to review large amounts of data; capability to juggle many priorities and security related topics whilst maintaining an excellent level of customer service skills.
You will contribute towards the operation of the Information Security function at Aviva via the provision of domain expertise across Aviva and subsidiaries. You will be based from our Bristol office with travel to other Aviva locations.
The hiring manager for this role is Andy Pugh, who will be happy to discuss the role in more detail.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Gather Group and regional requirements
- Research and aid in the selection of new technologies
- Plan, design and implement new and existing technologies globally
- Own platforms and be the global subject matter expert
- Work with third-parties to ensure toolsets are meeting their potential and remediate issues
- Respond to tickets and incidents from the Global Security Operations Centre
- Ownership of incidents and alerts, chasing third-party suppliers and escalation where required
- Support the Global CISO business engagement model via direct dialogue with specialist areas/individuals that support security control operation
- Ability to manage own time and schedule to deliver the service
- Ability to support out of hours on-call service
- Support the assessment of security control operations across business lines and third-party suppliers
- Analysis of management information and delivery of onward reporting
Skills & Experience:
- SME level experience of leading network security projects
- SME level experience of deploying and managing network security technologies
- Experience of deploying and managing network infrastructure (firewalls, routing and switching etc.)
- Experience of Linux Operating Systems
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with a variety of different people
- Educated to degree level (in relevant discipline) or equivalent experience
- Relevant network and security certifications such as CCNP Security would be beneficial
What will I get from this role:
- Salary: Competitive, dependent on skills & experience
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Minimum holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Alex Stumpo in the Resourcing team at