Following an increase in department, we are seeking to appoint a newly created vacancy for a G4 Senior Officer - Fingerprint Expert to play a key role in contributing to the established fingerprint capability and support the learning and development of a cadre of trainee fingerprint officers recently appointed. To join us at this exciting time the successful candidate will apply all aspects of their specialism in a way that contributes to the Criminal Justice outcomes as well as the positive growth of the team and individuals undertaking the fingerprint learning programme. Candidates should therefore have completed a nationally recognised Fingerprint analysis training programme at an advanced level and working alongside our Fingerprint Technical Manager at this grade be able and willing to share the benefit of their knowledge, skills and experience in an engaging and pro-active manner to support training and competence of the team.
This is a challenging role that will focus on core technical skills as a Fingerprint Expert along with the requirements of being a Reporting Officer, team player and mentor to trainee officers.
With extensive casework experience, proven skills in fingerprint identification and verification processes, and an excellent understanding of working in an accredited environment candidates should also be highly motivated to work on some of the most serious and organised crime affecting the UK and its citizens
Responsibilities• Engage with and implement departmental procedures in line with forensic regulation and accreditation standards.
• Perform a range of work activities utilising specialist databases in support of NCA Casework and other international functions.
• Conduct analysis, comparison and evaluation of friction ridge detail. Search marks and tenprints against national collections to determine identity.
• Support learning and development of fingerprint trainees.
• Create and maintain biometric records using IDENT1 and Specialist Collections and carry out relevant tasks to ensure rapid processing, including compliance activity in relation to the Protection of Freedoms Act.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
Advanced level Fingerprint Training to Expert Status.
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
Failure to provide evidence at interview may result in your application not progressing to the next stage.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Good underpinning knowledge and application of fingerprint standards and regulation, particularly in relation to training and competence.
- Experienced in analysis, comparison and evaluation of friction ridge detail.
- Experienced in processing serious or complex fingerprint casework.
- Experience in communication and verbal reasoning of fingerprint findings and their implications, including those who may have little or no knowledge of fingerprint methodology.
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).