In order to deliver our vision we need to be a flexible, innovative and collaborative department that connects with industry, business, research and development communities, consumers and all the other parts of the UK economy. We need to make evidence based policy decisions driven by coherent, exploitable and shared data. We need to connect with our customers, partners and other stakeholders in a business like way – embracing the full potential of the digital era. And we need to use the best modern technology to maximise our own productivity
This is underpinned by 4 strategic enablers:
1. People, skills and culture: a culture where Digital is embraced, understood and valued.
2. Partner, enable, assure: provide the tools, processes and support to empower teams to deliver quality services which meet government standards and user needs.
3. Service delivery: the design, build and delivery of services is agile - providing value for money through reuse of data and components and delivering services more quickly and effectively.
4. Continuous improvement: the ambition to continually improve is instilled in everything that we do. We seek feedback from our users and the data we capture to understand user behaviour to improve services and inform future service developments.
So we need a strong Digital, Data and Technology function that provides excellent services to the Department, enabling collaboration with our colleagues to deliver exceptional services for the consumers and businesses we serve. We currently have circa 120 posts in the team, with an annual budget allocation of circa £20m. There is an interim organisational structure in place pending the approval of a strategy that you will have the opportunity to shape and then deliver.
The Department has rolled out a G-cloud technology platform with a resilient infrastructure to provide the latest software to staff. We have only just begun to consider how we might exploit the opportunities presented by the latest technology. Therefore, we need a strong and experienced team to help both the Department and the function understand the possibilities and potential of the digital era and play a key role in the transformation of both the way we work and the services we deliver.
For further information please follow this link to view the BEIS Digital recruitment film:
About the Role
This is a great opportunity to operate at the heart of BEIS' exciting and fast-moving digital change agenda. Our approach puts user needs at the heart of digital development.
Your development is important and we offer a comprehensive learning commitment through the cross government Digital, Data and Technology profession. Come and join our strong User Research community and play a significant role in BEIS and government
About the team
BEIS has recently concluded a major programme of work to change the way we provide technology services. We have moved to a cloud model, which gives us flexibility and bandwidth to be brave in the services we offer to our colleagues. To continue the growth of the organisation we are seeking a candidate to build, lead and drive both our Digital and Data offerings to colleagues and businesses.
● Lead and Define user Journeys and articulate the vision for products and services.
● Identify opportunities for cost reduction and improvement within an existing service
● Understand user needs and identify where separate interactions within BEIS and across government
● Train and mentor other service designers
● Understand the existing supporting system of a service and design targeted improvements to that system to accommodate the new service - both digital and process based
● Create and rapidly iterate service prototypes
● Identify and design new cross BEIS service patterns and standards
● Collaborating on designs with developers and other in multidisciplinary team
● Welcome the constructive criticism of their work and be able to constructively review the work of others
● Explain design decisions and be able to represent a service at a service assessment
● Engage the whole multidisciplinary team with the design process
What we are looking for
The successful candidate will:
● Be proactive, plan ahead and identify key issues ensuring they are given attention at the earliest opportunity.
● Experience of Service Design deliverable and Service Blueprints
● A self starter and willingness to learn.
● Not afraid to fail, but ensuring that lessons are learnt and adaptive to new technology.
● Have the ability to work effectively under pressure, sometimes to tight deadlines and make quick and effective decisions regarding problem solving and prioritisation.
● Be a team player, willing to pick up a range of different tasks and deliver work on behalf of the team.
● Knows about GOV.UK and the Government Digital Service, and the service standard.
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.