About the job
Software Engineers design and develop NDEC systems, supporting operational teams with new tools, and new ways of working with data.
NDEC are, and will be, at the heart of this response and you will be joining a team of dedicated and diverse professionals who are all committed to making NDEC and the NCA a success.
What are we looking for?
• Good software development skills and knowledge of object-orientated programming languages e.g. Java, C++ and Python.
• Experience/knowledge of working in an Agile environment applying modern software development practices to quality assure software release cycles.
• Knowledge of cloud computing, infrastructure, and its implementation (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud).
• Knowledge of software design languages, such as UML, tools such as Sparx Enterprise Architect.
• Experience managing, coaching and mentoring technical team members and/or a professional interest in developing management skills.
• Strong stakeholder and consultative skills.
• An understanding of ethical considerations of potential data exploitation and software development approaches.
ResponsibilitiesWhat will I be doing?
• Team-working: Work in multi-functional teams to advise, quality assure, develop, and deliver strategic and tactical data analytical solutions to operational challenges and working towards enterprise standards.
• Programming and build: Design, build, test and maintain data management systems, making sure they meet business requirements and user needs.
• Data service delivery: Delivering data services that are automated, reliable, and secure; designing automation in data including writing ETL scripts and code.
• Team Management: Line manage, support and mentor technical members of staff.
• Coaching: Provide guidance and support to the technical team members, support and develop staff in programming and coding techniques.
• Quality Assurance: Ensure the quality of software, and dissemination of data/information, whilst ensuring confidentiality and sensitivity in line with NCA policy and enterprise governance standards.
• Communication: Build working relationships with colleagues across the NCA’s technical community to develop skills and cross-functional working.
• Collaboration: Share and disseminate knowledge and findings across the broader technical and NCA community as appropriate.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Good software development skills and knowledge of at least one of the following object-oriented programming languages: C++, C#, Java or Python.
- Experience in the designing, building, testing and maintaining software using a modern standards approach.
- Hold the technical responsibility for a software development project, ensuring compliance, testing and documentation of the delivery.
- Knowledge of cloud-based platforms and technologies.
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).