Software Engineer | Holborn | Permanent
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our team of talented back end engineers, working alongside our product teams within our Premier Inn Digital hub in London.
The PremierInn.com website handles £2billion worth of transactions per year and is critical to the success of our business. If you’re a customer-centric developer, who would like to solve real world problems at scale, this could be the role for you.
We offer you autonomy and ownership of a full-stack feature set (we’re building our Micro-services in Java 11) and we encourage you to be creative in building a website that makes the customer experience as easy and user-friendly as possible.
As a Software Engineer, you’ll receive training and coaching which will give you every opportunity to achieve your career aspirations.
You’ll be part of an Agile team that delivers new robust and scalable features across the entire product lifecycle to the Premier Inn website, from concept, design, build, deploy, test, to release, as well as drive new architectural solutions, scale our systems, and increase performance.
We are proud of our tech stack. You’ll be exposed to technologies such as Java, ReactJS, Docker, Redis, AWS, Prometheus, Grafana, Kibana, Swift, Kotlin, Rancher, Kubernetes, Spring Cloud, Jenkins.
What you will be doing to contribute
* Work within an agile team to deliver across the entire product life cycle – concept, design, build (code), deploy, test, release, and maintain/support great products in a Dev-ops environment.
* Partner with our architecture group to define and then develop robust and scalable. architectures that comply with Whitbread and industry best-practices and standards.
* Collaborate with the Product Owner and team to deliver robust, secure, scalable, tested, and documented capabilities.
* Fully participate in the relevant scrum events; planning and estimation, daily scrums, sprint reviews, and retrospectives.
* Delivering API-enabled components and microservices using containerisation and cloud solutions to the highest engineering standards.
* Drive software architectural and design principles, test driven development, team standards and best practices e.g. code quality, improving the code base, agile ways of working, technical debt control.
* Mentoring colleagues, learning and sharing engineering skills.
* Providing technical leadership.
* Delivering value to our business and our customers by using technology to solve business problems with creativity & innovation.
* You are a passionate developer who loves clean coding but also getting their hands dirty.
* You are passionate about continuously growing your skills and making a difference.
* You will bring ideas, challenge and offer solutions to the team.
* Practice TDD and follow best practices.
* Produce high-quality, clean and performant code.
* Product mindset and passion about building for internal stakeholders and external customer.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* The ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team members.
Required skills and experience
* Excellent experience and knowledge of Java 8+.
* Experience with modern enterprise frameworks, E.g. Spring or Spring Boot.
* Experience with version control e.g. Git.
* Automated Build Systems e.g. Jenkins.
* Solid understanding of microservices, as well as implementing and designing RESTful APIs.
* TDD with Unit Testing (such as Junit or Mockito) and Integration Testing.
* Monitoring application performance and maintaining the application in production.
Desirable skills and experience:
* Exposure to Spring Cloud tools (Eureka, Zuul, Hystrix, Ribbon, Feign, etc).
* Exposure to Cloud technologies (Docker, Kubernetes and AWS).
* Exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment.
* Comfortable working in agile methodologies (ideally Scrum) and agile development.
* NoSQL or RDBMS experience.
* You have worked with data processing technologies e.g. SOAP/XML/JSON parsers.
* Experience of working with OAuth 2.0.
* And any experience of the following: Redis, Kibana, Grafana, Rancher.