The successful candidate will jointly own the design, development, interrogation and integration of SQL Server databases and Visual Basic user forms that support our Management Information and Business Intelligence solutions. Moving forward the platform will evolve to also manage internal HR data as well as cross-government recruitment data.
You will be a self-starter who can work collaboratively in a small team to challenge and drive innovation across the business.
As part of a larger team, you will have the opportunity to share ideas and build solutions to solve some of the most complex and challenging problems across government. You will use your knowledge to support wider digital projects (Recruitment Platform for Government) and will share knowledge of your areas to keep the wider business informed.
You will be enthusiastic about emerging technologies, looking to develop your skills and the tools used within the Government Recruitment Service.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds
• Leading in partnership with wider database developers to maintain and improve a SQL reporting system.
• Data migration from our legacy MS Access databases to a server based solution (MS SQL Server transitioning to Azure).
• Database design & structure – Entity Relationship Diagrams and Normalisation.
• Front end user form (UX) design, development and integration with databases (Visual Basic).
• Establish new areas of delivery and establish ETL processes in support of introducing data driven services.
• Support process review and design within wider technical and non-technical teams to enabled continuous improvement.
• Financial Planning & Analysis (Assist) – Management of a relatively large (£5-10m) annual budget and production of monthly/quarterly/annual plans.
• Capacity and Resource Planning (Assist) – Working collaboratively wider teams to provide a collective view of customer demand in context to resource availability & capability. Work with operations to produce user friendly reports in order to inform decision making within Volume Recruitment.
• Performance Data Analysis (Assist) – Support the Operational Management Team by analysing and reporting on Volume Recruitment’s performance against agreed targets and key performance indicators.
• Build and maintain productive working relationships with colleagues, stakeholders and customers and work collaboratively with others.
• Build an understanding of the CSHR Vision and be aware of organisational objectives.
• Act professionally, offer good customer service and be aware of self-management techniques.
Due to the nature of the service we provide there may occasionally be a need to work outside of normal working hours although this will not be a routine part of the role.
It’s essential that you have the following technical Skills:
• Experience using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) coding required to design, deliver and maintain in-house tactical MI tools.
• Database design (Entity Relationship modelling, Normalization) and/or Data Modelling.
• Knowledge of SQL (Transact SQL, Oracle, MySQL etc.)
• Knowledge of ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) processes.
• Experience in data analysis or data science e.g. using R, Python, Power, BI, Qlik, etc.
• Experience of TOGOF (digital architecture).
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Experience using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications)
- Database design (Entity Relationship modelling, Normalization)
- Knowledge of SQL (Transact SQL, Oracle, MySQL etc.)
- Knowledge of ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) processes.