Blakemore Retail is the convenience retail division of the A.F. Blakemore Group based in the West Midlands. Founded by Arthur and Harriet Blakemore in 1917, A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd began life as a one-man counter service grocery store in Wolverhampton. Over the past century, under the stewardship of Arthur’s son, Frank and grandson, Peter, the A.F. Blakemore Group has grown into one of the largest privately owned companies in the UK and now employs more than 8,000 people with a turnover of circa £1 billion.
With more than 5,500 employees and 280 SPAR stores located across England and Wales, Blakemore Retail is the largest independent convenience store operator in the UK.
Putting people first is the philosophy that has resulted in Blakemore Retail becoming the dynamic, forward-thinking success story that it is today, and it is this belief that will continue to drive the company’s growth forward in the next century.
Position: Store Manager
Location: North Wales Area
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 40 Hours per Week, Various shifts to meet needs of business, incl. mornings, days, evenings and weekends. Flexible hours available.
Salary: £22,000 - £25,000.00 per annum
Benefits: Bonus Scheme potential of up to £5,200 pa, Company Sick Pay, Additional Holidays, Company Pension Scheme, Life Cover, Staff Discount, Long Service Awards, Cycle to Work Scheme, Employee Volunteering opportunities, Health Cash Plan.
Closing date: July 14, 2019
About the role:
The Store Manager will maximise sales and profit through the continuous improvement of the store and staff, control of costs and leakage and provision of friendly, efficient service to customers, colleagues and visitors.
- Deliver customer service in line with service standards
- Be fully aware of Key Result Areas and assist in working to deliver and improve them
- Generate ideas for driving the business and it’s team forward
- Monitor competitor activity and propose appropriate responses
- Develop a motivated and empowered team through a positive management style
- Staff recruitment, planning and training
- Use relevant processes and policies to control the security of people, stock and cash
- Ensure compliance with the relevant legislation and health and food safety responsibilities
- Control of costs in accordance with agreed budgets
- Adherence to cash and stock control policies, ensuring and assisting others to do the same
- May be required to work evenings and weekends
- Basic education (numeracy and literacy)
- APLH (Award for Personal License Holder), must have or be prepared to undertake this qualification
- NVQ Level 3 in Management (or equivalent) is desirable
- Previous experience at a supervisory or managerial level in a food retail environment (or similar) essential
- Ability to ensure scheduled training and development delivered to required standard is essential
- Understanding of budgets & targets and the ability to work to deliver and improve them essential
- Basic knowledge of health and food safety and legislative responsibilities of a retail environment and the skill to manage those responsibilities essential
- Ability to generate ideas for driving the business and it’s team forward
- Previous budget responsibility is preferred
- Proven track record of team and business development is desirable
- Experience of managing a Challenge 25 policy is desirable
- Customer focussed and understands the importance of this to the business
- Ability to deal with conflict in an effective and professional manner
- Flexible approach to working hours
You may have experience of the following: Retail Manager, Retail, Convenience, FMCG, Grocery Manager, Supermarket, Food, Retail Management, Business Development, Food Service, Convenience Store, Store Manager, Retail Manager, Branch Manager, etc.