We're committed to creating better places for everyone. We take pride in making a difference, but also in being the difference: for the communities we serve, whatever the challenge, whatever the weather. By designing and consulting, building and maintaining, managing and investing in our country's services and infrastructures we create better places to live, work and travel.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. To bring out the better in you. To shine as a better team player or self-starter. To help you commit to better each day, delivering whatever steps it takes, great or small, to create better places for everyone.
We believe that we are what we do.
It's more than just wanting to do better.
At Amey, we're proud to be the better.
What is the purpose of this role?
- To assist the Construction Manager in delivering allocated tasks safely in accordance with legislation and Amey Procedures to contract specification and programme, while effectively supervising and delivering approved construction tasks to the agreed resource and programme timescales.
What will this role involve?
40% office, 60% site time split.
Assists to raise orders for plant, materials, staff etc.
Assist Snr. SM / Construction Manager on core deployments, part of delivery team, reports to Senior SM / Construction Manager
- To promote safe working practices, ensure full implementation and compliance with safety responsibility statement below.
- To attend Project construction, planning and access meetings.
- To coordinate the implementation of site construction activities with the survey team(s).
- Responsible for the submission of accurate site records to enable effective monitoring of programme, cost plans and change as requested to agreed format as applicable.
- Ensure that tool box talks, task briefs and COSS briefs are carried out for all work tasks prior to commencement of work for allocated contracts.
- To assist with production of Work Package Plans
- To produce and coordinate weekly Task Briefs
- Ensure that all allocated tasks are undertaken in accordance with the planned safe method of working.
- Responsible for ordering and receipt of site deliverables, timely returns of goods receipts notices.
- Responsible for ordering and receipt of site plant, including security and timely off-hire.
- Supervise sub-contractors, contract staff and direct labour for allocated site activities.
- Carry out performance reviews for direct reports, administering poor performance, attendance management and disciplinary procedures as applicable
- Undertake PDRs and staff development of direct reports where applicable
- The role is one of site supervision and based generally in a site environment. It is a requirement of the role to attend site on a regular basis (including night time).
What are we looking for?
- 5 years experience in Track Renewals Supervision as a minimum
- Basic technical and practical knowledge of both Plain Line and S&C Renewals, including Planning, Installation Methodologies.
- Acceptance of Sponsorship
- Industry Common Induction
- OLEC 1
- Standard 019 Briefing
- Personal Track Safety
- D&A Screening
- SMSTS/IOSH Managing Safely
- Supervisory Management training / qualification with significant practical experience
- Must be able to drive
- The ability to supervise and lead the site team in the successful delivery of the allocated contracts for specific discipline (PWay, civils, signals)
- Computer literacy - Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience of railway construction management for specific discipline
- Understanding of Railway planning systems - desirable
- Understanding of the Railway operating environment - desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence and communicate effectively with site staff and project team
- Emergency First Aid at work
- IOSHH Managing Safely
- Project Induction
- Knowledge of Risk Assessment techniques
- Environmental awareness for managers
- IOSH working safely
What makes this role unique?
The Transpennine Route is a major transport artery for the UK and for the communities and economies across the north of England. It runs for 76 miles between Manchester, Leeds, York, Selby and onto Humberside. It's a hugely popular route and passenger numbers have doubled over the past 25 years. Millions of people that work, study and live alongside the railway depend on it every year.
The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) is a multi-billion pound investment programme that will deliver a high performing, reliable railway for passengers with more seats, more trains and faster journeys between Manchester and York via Huddersfield and Leeds. It is the biggest railway transformation the north has seen since the Victorian era.
TRU is made up of three programmes: West of Leeds, Leeds Central and East of Leeds. The West of Leeds Alliance (TRU West) is responsible for the transformation of the railway between Manchester and Leeds.