Hubs Programme Director location - National
About the job
These are exciting and high profile roles with significant delivery and leadership responsibilities. Each Programme Director will report to the GPA Programmes Director and will be required to regularly report on progress to their relevant Programme Boards as well as to the GPA Executive and beyond. These crucial roles ensure focus on delivery at a senior level, driving excellence and innovation from the top.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome suitably qualified applicants from all backgrounds.
Hubs Programme Director:
The Government Hubs Programme falls within the Government Major Programme Portfolio (GMPP) and drives a radical reshaping of the civil service estate, and a consolidated footprint where shared space across government is the norm.
It delivers compelling benefits in its own right, but is also a fundamental prerequisite to wider Civil Service transformation. The proposal builds on estates consolidation achieved over the last parliament, but marks a change of pace, and is rooted in Departments’ workforce consolidation plans for the period to 2020 and beyond. It aggregates these as the basis for finding property solutions across the Government portfolio, as opposed to within existing footprints.
The Programme will deliver modern, flexible shared spaces in regions across the UK. They will showcase best practice in Smart Working, mobile technology, workplace design, and space utilisation, working to an ambition of 6 sq m per FTE.
Whitehall Campus Programme Director:
The Whitehall Campus Programme Director role links closely to the Hubs Programme. The Whitehall Campus Programme will change the way that Government works by delivering multi-departmental offices in Whitehall that support collaborative working, improved working environments, and better utilisation - reducing the number of core buildings in Whitehall to no more than 20 working as a cohesive campus.
The Whitehall Campus, delivered by GPA, will be run as a single entity with flexible space, shared services, colocation and integrated security systems.
● Setting clear, strategic direction and plans for delivery and occupation of new hub buildings.
● Developing appropriate programme & project Business Cases and securing investment approval through the GPA Investment Committee.
● Building strong relationships with senior leaders across government and externally.
● Ensuring benefits are realised in line with the Business Cases, using appropriate levels of governance and control throughout delivery and providing timely and accurate reporting to meet diverse stakeholder needs.
● Manage budgets, monitoring expenditure and costs against delivery and realised benefits as the programmes progress. Maintain robust risk management processes.
● Working collaboratively across the GPA including in partnership with the Client Solutions Directorate, Commercial Directorate, Finance Directorate and Operations Directorate, putting client experience at the forefront of delivery.
● Managing stakeholders across government at the most senior level and developing strong relationships across organisational boundaries in order to deliver programme benefits.
● Securing value for money from third party suppliers of goods and services.
● Leading a team of project managers and central staff (initially around 15 staff for each Programme), plus external advisers with the size of the team growing significantly over time.
Management of large-scale and complex programmes
● A proven track record of managing large-scale projects and programmes, of comparable scale and complexity, within a complex stakeholder environment.
● Proven track record of delivering transformational change, impacting on many people.
● Experience of leading delivery in property and/or infrastructure project delivery.
● Extensive experience of senior leadership across a multi tasked organisation.
● A proven ability to build and manage a high-performing delivery team.
Supplier & Contract Management
● A track record of managing a complex supply chain and handling challenging commercial relationships.
Financial Management and Risk Management
● Strong financial management and budgeting skills, of a comparable scale, with experience of offering sound advice to senior leaders on risk exposure and mitigations.
● Experience of developing relationships with senior stakeholders in a complex, multi- organisation environment.
● Excellent communication skills – oral and written – with ability to communicate with precision to technical professionals, and with
simplicity to customers.
● Able to deliver under pressure and to sustain momentum and morale, despite uncertainty and ambiguity.
● A programme management qualification equivalent to the Government’s Major Project Leadership Academy (MPLA)/MSP and / or significant programme management experience operating to a senior programme board.
● A practitioner qualification and/or sound understanding of the HMT Better Business Case - 5 case model.
management experience operating to a senior programme board.
A practitioner qualification and/or sound understanding of the HMT Better Business Case - 5 case model.