Job Description for Application and Data Architect:
There's never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you'll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We're an organisation that's here to experiment and push the limits of what's possible. So, if you're keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Application and Data Architect to join the National Nuclear Laboratory IT Architecture function based at NNL Risley, Cheshire. The Application and Data Architect will have a broad understanding of technologies including, O365, public / private hybrid cloud environment and SaaS solutions. The responsibilities of the role will include working closely with business representatives to better understand business needs, understanding business requirements, high and low-level design creation, design reviews, implementation, and transition of services into support.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Risley, Preston, Culham, Stonehouse or Workington.
Main Responsibilities for Application and Data Architect:
- Responsible for the NNL's Application and Data Architecture.
- TDA for architectural escalations and guidance for the Applications Team.
- Autonomy to design HLD's, Design Patterns and Reference Architectures.
- Responsible for the production of Road Maps and Target State Architectures.
- Jointly accountable with the Architects to map Business Capabilities, Processes, Apps, Components, Interfaces and Data.
- Responsible for rearchitecting Apps, SQL, Data Warehouses and Reporting platforms for Azure.
- Evangelist for good data management and informed decision making through the design, implementation, and adoption of the NNL Data Warehouse.
- Decision maker for reporting and dashboarding with the capability to design and deliver excellent MI and BI.
- Eliciting requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, and business analysis.
Essential Criteria for Application and Data Architect:
- Demonstrable experience working in a similar role.
- Supporting, or where appropriate, owning the development of business cases. Including where necessary, functional requirements and specifications.
- Designing solutions for the business within the context of the developing Enterprise Architecture.
- Understanding and identifying opportunities to improve business processes using existing and new solutions.
- Creating solution option papers providing recommendations where applicable across a diverse range of projects in the Transformation Program.
- Identifying issues and risks and lead their resolution as required.
- End-to-end technical and application architecture.
- Experienced in hybrid environments combining on premise, private and public cloud.
- Exposure to IT procurement and vendor management.
- Motivation and be a self-starter able to work in a fast paced, complex and dynamic environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrable experience of requirement analysis.
- Responsibility for the delivery of their own work packages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience or accreditation of one or more established frameworks for solution architecture, such as BCS and TOGAF.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years' worth of UK residency).