Uppingham School, founded in 1584, is a leading co-educational independent boarding school. Its 875 pupils, aged 13-18, are accommodated in 15 boarding houses, taught by over 20 academic departments, and participate in numerous extra-curricular activities such as sports, music, and drama. The academic programme is supported by business units responsible for marketing, estates, finance, human resources, IT, catering, cleaning, health and safety, and enterprise/ conferencing. The School employs almost 600 staff and operates seven days a week across the year.
You will lead a team of Team Leaders and Domestic Cleaners to provide a home from home for pupils by cleaning the houses and central buildings to the highest of standards, and by serving and presenting meals and undertaking laundry.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and welcomes applications from anyone who feels they could fulfil the role.
• To work under the direction and guidance of Cleaning Services Manager
• Be courteous to colleagues and pupils and provide a welcoming environment
• Work independently to complete tasks assigned to a high standard.
• Support Team Leaders in House and staff in central buildings
• Health & Safety Compliance, including COSHH, PPE
• In timely support of cleaning, laundry, food service as required.
• Induction training for new staff members.
• Coaching, mentoring, and motivating of staff members.
• Performance Management
• Undertake investigations including for root-cause analysis, disciplinary and grievances.
• Regularly liaise with cluster peers including House Matron’s and House Parents.
• Engage with School wide management activities.
• Ensure compliance with the School’s policies and procedures.
Skills and Experience
• Previous management experience
• Knowledge of cleaning procedures.
• Good numeracy and literacy.
• Good knowledge of the Office software suite.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Ability to organize workload and balance priorities to meet deadlines.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Knowledge of health & safety requirements. (desirable)
• An understanding of COSHH. (desirable)
• Previous experience of using industrial cleaning equipment. (desirable)
Safeguarding and Child Protection
The post-holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom they are responsible, or with whom they come into contact, will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding (child protection) Policy at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the School, they must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) or to the Headmaster.
Salary: £25,479 per annum.
Hours: 35 hours per week, 6am to 3pm.
Benefits Include: Free staff lunches in term-time, £25 annual staff membership of the School’s Sports Centre, Retail, gym, supermarket, cinema and restaurant discounts, Cycle to work scheme, Employee Assistance Programme which provides a range of support , Occupational Health Services to support staff who have health/medical issues, Free annual ‘flu jabs, Recognised as a “Disability Confident” employer, Recognised as a “Mindful” employer, 50% contribution to premiums for School’s private health scheme, School fee discount for children of staff.
You may have experience of the following: Cleaning Services Manager, Cleaning Manager, Cleaner, Facilities Manager, Estates Manager, Caretaker, People Management, etc.
Ref: 133 709