Job Title: Azure DevOps Engineer
Location: Edinburgh or Nether Alderley
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 22nd September 2021
Royal London is the largest mutual life insurance, pensions and investment company in the UK. Since its foundation 160 years ago, Royal London has supported millions of people to protect and provide for themselves and their families.
Our culture is welcoming, friendly, flexible and we aim to make you always feel included. We welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break or those who are transitioning from different sectors.
To support this, we are always open to discussing flexible working arrangements and as we transition to hybrid working, we will discuss working patterns or locations that ensure you have the freedom to be your best. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
We believe that being together some of the time will help our colleagues to feel truly connected to our Spirit of Royal London culture. Many of us value the passing conversations, social interactions and building relationships that comes from being together in the office.
We currently have an exciting opportunity to bring onboard an Azure DevOps Engineer to join Royal London Group on a permanent basis in Edinburgh or Nether Alderley.
The Azure DevOps Engineering role is influential in the delivery of cloud enabled initiatives, providing guidance and direction to a team of four Engineers. The role will work closely with Technical Leads and the Architecture function, providing SME experience to help shape road maps and high-level designs. The role will also have responsibilities around operational aspects of running a cloud platform.
- Lead initiatives to deliver custom cloud solutions in accordance with architecture, best practices and our cloud strategy
- Engineer a foundational cloud environment governed by appropriate policy to allow for safe cloud consumption across Royal London
- Produce reusable templated artefacts that deliver cloud services to Royal London standards, to cloud consumers
- Manage Azure configurations as code using CI/CD techniques
- Create automated unit tests to continuously test our build pipelines
- Support continuous delivery of production solutions
- Automate processes required for the governance of cloud services
- Define the logging, alerting, and monitoring required to effectively manage the Azure cloud platform
- Operate the Azure data platform to ensure service levels are maintained
- Play a lead role with any major outages of the cloud services
- Support and coach other cloud engineers within the team
- Contribute to the Cloud Engineering practice by sharing ideas and experience
- Deep understanding and ability to configure cloud services via Infrastructure as Code using Terraform, ARM Templates, Ansible
- Extensive Knowledge of Azure DevOps & Configuring CI/CD pipelines
- Strong working knowledge of Azure Services and interdependencies
- Experience working and understanding of networks and how Azure can be affected by differing configurations / workload
- Can manage own workload whilst scheduling and allocating work to other developers
- Ability to mentor a team and manage technical delivery with them
- Good understanding of the full software development lifecycle
- Awareness of agile development practices.
- Experience in migrating other systems in Azure
- Experience of administering Windows and/or Linus systems
- Ability to automate through a scripting language and experience with script testing approaches is highly advantageous
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills
What We Offer
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing.
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return
- Glassdoor have again ranked as among the best places to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
In fact, the first pillar of our People Promise is designed to make sure you 'work somewhere inclusive'. We want to live up to this promise; it’s good for our people and good for our customers too, because our workforce should reflect our communities.