There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The role of the Buyer is to assist the Procurement Team with the procurement and contract management activity for NNL’s customer work for BEIS, including the NIP and AFCP programmes, which will include developing, implementing and managing a range of R&D contracts and agreements with third party suppliers, monitoring and managing the supplier relationships and ensuring accurate records are kept to allow for regular and ad-hoc reporting of progress against the customers milestones and KPIs.
Main Responsibilities of a Buyer
- Work with the Account Management Team to develop and sign-off Procurement Plans, identifying requirements for the delivery of work supporting the Programmes.
- Identify and deliver value adding opportunities from the supply chain and/or by making internal process improvements.
- Contribute to, and lead where appropriate with negotiations / tender exercises.
- Place contracts and purchase orders within own delegated authority, ensuring the contract terms & conditions are appropriate and protect NNL and its customer from unnecessary risk.
- Liaise with Legal Team and other NNL Departments.
- Manage the contracts, ensuring KPI’s are monitored and managed appropriately, payments to third parties and claims for payments to NNL from the customer are timely and accurate.
- Assist in the collation and presentation of procurement-based reports.
- Assist individuals with issues and problems on a local site by site basis.
- Provide guidance / support to members of the Procurement team and broader NNL community.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Buyer
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) level 4 professional qualification.
- Ability to understand technical requirements.
- Experience of directing cross functional teams to meet procurement timetables
- Experience of managing multiple contracts concurrently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – confidence, drive, challenge, influencing skills, communications.
- Ability to achieve BPSS Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Buyer
- Experience in the area of Grant Funding, Research and Development and/or Government Programmes
- Knowledge of Agresso
- General commercial / business experience.
About The Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.