Salary: £70k (plus options)
Location: London (hybrid)
Contract: Permanent (option for full-time or part-time)
Hi, I’m Jamie.
I have been setting up and running education initiatives and companies for over ten years after being a teacher.
I am now looking for someone to bring a commercial edge to my educational nous to grow a start-up education business into something rather special. I am hoping that person might be you. This can be a part-time / flexible role as well as a full-time position.
The business is Encounter Edu a live-streaming lesson platform. We’ve been doing live broadcast lessons from around the world since 2014, and people like what we have been doing. The pandemic happened, our numbers shot through the roof, and our servers crashed.
Building on this opportunity, I have secured investment from some of the UK’s leading angel investors. One of the missing pieces of the puzzle is someone to fill a Commercial Director role.
Have a look at the job spec below, and if it does entice you, then please fill out the form and I will be in touch. I don’t believe in a long and drawn-out process and so this recruitment is on a rolling basis. Good luck and thank you for taking the time to read this Job Description.
A little business background…
As the new business takes shape, we are looking at growing two revenue streams. The first is from school subscriptions for a premium offer. The second is through creating live lessons on behalf of other organisations (we call them learning partners), such as corporations sponsoring education or supporting outreach by science and cultural institutes.
What would you be doing?
- Business strategy: setting the KPIs in line with the company vision, ensuring that business targets are aligned to input metrics as well as a wider commercial dashboard.
- Sales and marketing: deliver commercially minded decisions and activity to support and oversee these functions, understanding when and how to support the team to grow and develop.
- Foster relationships with key accounts: develop meaningful relationships with our current and potential learning partners and school users to ensure you understand clients’ needs and requirements first-hand.
- Working with me to share some of the operations and governance tasks (e.g. finance, HR, or legal).
Where would you be doing it?
- I don’t expect us to be working out of the same physical office every day (although you can), but I would like to meet in person once or twice a week, with flexibility to have the occasional longer brainstorm over cake or pizza.
- I am based in southwest London, and we have a small office there too, so being within striking distance would make a lot of sense.
- NB – you’d be expected to foot the commuting bill yourself, and we look at making the journey time off-peak if that helps.
When would you be working?
- I am looking at a minimum of 25 hours a week up to a full-time role. We can look at flexible start and end times, with the expectation that 5 to 6 hours of working days overlap with standard office hours.
- I would also appreciate some flexibility in return, as deadlines and work have the habit of not obeying strict timings.
- In terms of duration, I am looking for a long-term collaborator and partner in crime.
How much does it pay?
- £70k pa (pro rata)
- Share option scheme
- Statutory pension contribution
- Nice things to eat or drink when we meet up
What are the perks?
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Flexible location and hours (within reason)
- Access to an exciting world of thinkers, doers, speakers, organisations and expeditions
- Being in at the start of an exciting journey
What skills am I looking for?
- Natively commercial and entrepreneurial in outlook
- Experience of commercial / marketing leadership in a start-up or growth environment
- Comfortable with numbers and tech
- B2B sales and marketing
- Excellent communicator and confident presenter
- Track record of building strong corporate relations and partnerships
- Writer of great copy
What sort of person am I looking for?
- Natural networker
- On top of the details and disciplined in following up
- Positive person
- Inspired by education and environmental and social concerns
- Happy to work independently – I am looking for someone whom I can delegate problems to rather than just tasks
Bonus points for any of the following
- Worked in the education sector
- Experience in cultural, media or science sectors
- Passion for making the world better for young people
- Online subscriptions and data-based marketing and sales
What’s the job title?
- Working title is Commercial Director, but this is not fixed in stone
Who would you be working for?
How do I apply?
Please click apply. Good luck!
If you are having issues, then email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
If you require assistance or an accommodation because of a disability, please be in touch.