Commercial Procurement Apprentice
Salary: £18,600 per annum
Starting in September 2024, learn about how we manage the supply chain that helps us to connect the country and begin your journey to becoming a CIPS procurement professional.
What you’ll be doing
If you’re ready for a career where you’ll be able to quickly develop business and commercial knowledge, our Commercial Procurement and Supply apprenticeship is a great opportunity to experience some of the largest public sector procurement activities in the country.
Our supply chain delivers many services to the strategic road network. As a Commercial Procurement Apprentice, you’ll work alongside our procurement teams in making sure National Highways chooses the best suppliers to deliver what we need and that we get the best value for money.
Procurement is much more than just buying things! As well as learning how we carry out our procurement activities, you’ll discover:
- How we develop good relationships with our suppliers
- How we monitor supplier performance
- How we consider factors such as sustainability, diversity and ethical sourcing in our procurement activities
You’ll complete a Level 4 qualification accredited by Chartered Institute for Procurement and Supply (CIPS), which will give you professional body recognition and boost your career prospects in the commercial, procurement and supply sector.
You’ll find loads more information about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship programme on our careers site which you can access via the apply button but are not obligated to apply to view details.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
- Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
- Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
- The ability to give and receive information effectively
- The ability to write clearly and concisely
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 / grade C or above, including English and Maths
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
There’s never been a better time to join our Commercial and Procurement team. We’re a growing, vibrant team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You’ll be involved in the design of our modern, progressive contracts and partnerships, negotiating best commercial terms, galvanizing innovation and producing smart cost estimates and plans. Building in every opportunity to ensure that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.