Job Description for Communications Manager (FTC - 12 Months):
There's never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you'll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We're an organisation that's here to experiment and push the limits of what's possible. So, if you're keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Communications Manager will identify rich scientific content across the National Nuclear Laboratory and opportunities and channels to deliver quality communications that showcase the science, technology and innovation at our core; to enhance the Laboratory's reputation for delivering nuclear science that benefits society.
With a keen interest in Science and Technology, they will lead communication of our strategic Focus Areas; maximising content through creation of integrated plans that reach a variety of audiences - internally and externally - whilst working closely with the existing comms team to ensure all communications reflect NNL strategy and ambitions.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Risley, Culham, Preston, Stonehouse or Sellafield.
Main Responsibilities for Communications Manager (FTC - 12 Months):
- Contribute to the development and delivery of a communications strategy which consistently inspires and delivers across all internal and external communication channels.
- Define and deliver an integrated communications plan to communicate key focus areas, to support the delivery of our reputation management strategy.
- Develop strong relationships with Science and Technology community to secure position as trusted advisor.
- Identify rich content from within the organisation; and use these to write, edit, design and deliver engaging content for distribution across a variety of internal and external communications channels.
- Define clear and consistent communication messages for a variety of internal and external audiences, based on sound understanding of target audience groups.
- Create high-quality and creative campaigns to showcase the variety of science, technology and innovation delivered by our organisation to a variety of audiences.
- Deliver a strong and timely pipeline of communication activity that provides proof points to reinforce NNL's strategy and focus areas and ensure NNL is visible to the right stakeholders.
- Build strong relationships with the NNL comms team and public affairs team to ensure all activity is planned and communicated across internal and external communication channels.
- Develop regular reports that evaluate activity and monitor progress; providing insight that informs our direction and demonstrates, to our leaders, the value of a content-driven approach to reputation management.
Essential Criteria for Communications Manager (FTC - 12 Months):
- Experience of delivering strategic communications plans and multi - channel communication campaigns; internally and externally.
- Experience of leading multiple communications projects in a busy team with the ability to handle competing deadlines.
- Experience in technical and/or scientific environments, with ability to define clear and consistent messages; taking complex content to simple effective communications.
- Creative writing skills with the ability to develop engaging copy that connects with NNL's target audience groups.
- Organisation skills and experience of managing communications roadmaps and plans.
- Strong digital skills and experience of web publishing and managing social media channels.
- Good influencing skills
- Ability to build a wide range of good working relationships across professional and operational boundaries and at all levels, including senior management and external stakeholders.
- Experience of evaluating impact of activity through quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Demonstrable experience in communications roles.
- Ability to obtain BPSS level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment and criminal record checks).
Desirable Criteria for Communications Manager (FTC - 12 Months):